router for table as well as freehand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi i am currently starting to plan parts of my workshop. I have a trim router which is great for small trimming work as you would expect. However i am looking for a router to mount into a bench top as well as being able to use away from the bench.
As i wont being doing that much routing, dont want to spend vast amount of money, any suggestions for a basic router for the table, that i can also use freehand as well. Assume will need to be 1/2 inch

You'll get lots of suggestions for this, but as you aren't intending to do a lot of stuff in the table then I would suggest one of the Tritons. they have built in height adjustment for when placed in a table and come with a selection of collet sizes. And are not too heavy to move about when using free hand
hth

I think you'll find the faff of taking it out and putting it in the table will get old very quickly.

A good 1/2" router in the table, and dare I say it, another for hand held.

Most big name routers are good. My makita has done a huge amount of work in the table for the last 4 years. So far, I have barely done anything hand held other then roundovers, its amazing just what you can do on a table. I do have a 1/4" router on a sled for levelling flat pieces.

Thanks Droogs and Sunnybob hope your not getting the weather we are here at present.
So if I went single router Triton and just use my trim router for roundovers and small light work, I should have all bases covered. Some of the Bosch routers, entry level, but only 1400w are keenly priced. Is there anything I am missing on £110 router, excuse ignorance

We are into our autumn here, Think really UK nice august (low 30's c) :lol: 8

Routers are amazing tools if you dont have hand tool skills.
They breed!

I have a big makita in the table. I have 2 makita edge trimmers with different sized roundover bits permanently affixed. I have a 1/4" bosch on a sled which I use for thicknessing small parts, and I have another 8 mm router that isnt all that good but I can use it for roughing out (3 of my 5 are used and were very cheap)
Everybody has their make preferences, mine is makita

Just beware of things that are half the price you would expect them to be, there are a lot of very poor chinese tools out there with really bad manufacturing tolerances, so whatever you buy, make sure you can return it if its carp.

Thanks Bob, as always more than helpful. will have a scout round to see if anyone has any good deals on branded routers. Makita is always preferred my end as well.

You will quickly find that grouping around under a router table is not fun, each adjustment has to be locked in place, the Triton has an interlock pain feature which operates whenever you want to change a bit, switching the router on also has to be done under that table unless you spend more money on a NVR switch which most router tables do not come with, don't discount one of these: lumberjack-rt1500-any-reviews-comments-thoughts-t99706.html although my second string router table it has served me well and does not involve all the above, variable speed and height adjustment above the table, for a hand held I would go for the Draper Expert, inexpensive and the three work lights through the transparent base makes it a pleasure to use, obviously just my opinion for what it's worth.

lumberjack-rt1500-t101720.html Rutlands, beside lots of others do a version as well, shop around you can get this table for under £200.00.

Back