rounding over your intarsia

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mock

Established Member
Reaction score
What do you use for rounding over your intarsia pieces i will be looking for something like a dremmel but i haven't had a lot of luck with the Dremel 3000 Series Multi-tool open to suggestions thanks' Alan

So, with a sum total of one intarsia build to my name I’m not hugely qualified to give advise. However, for what it’s worth, I used a micro motor with a log thin sausage shaped burr, either a kutzall or the other make that I can’t think of. This was followed with a small sanding drum out of my Dremel type bits and pieces. One thing I did learn and will use on my next Intarsia, is to be more vigilant in this sanding. You spend a lot of time getting a good fit between components, and then destroy all this fitting by putting deep roundovers between the pieces. I found it easy to emphasise the individual pieces by rounding them over and spoil the good fits I had achieved. My next one will be better with the experience I gained from the first.... I think :roll: !

I use a dremel with a sanding attachment and find it very good. I also use a bobbin sander which I like. I hand sand as well. Always looking at other ways to try too. Thinking of trying a foam filled drum which Phill told me about.

Don’t think of it as just rounding off the edges though. Your trying to create a 3D object so your sometimes shaping the whole of the piece.. for example muscle shapes, contours and mounds.

Some of my earlier pieces I just rounded the edges and thought it looked good.. not now though. I can see it looks flat and not 3 dimensional.

The ear of a dog for example has layers. Inside the ear and outside. Inside is lower than the outside. The ear may be at an angle so one side would be higher than the other. Then the other ear may be further away so would be lower.

Hope that makes sense.
You have to look at the image and try to see what is close to you and what is further away. The tip of the dogs nose is closer than his ears if he’s looking straight at you so the nose would be higher. So it’s not just rounding the edges but shaping.

Using thicker and thinner wood and also shims to raise different parts of the project.

Use what you have but don’t dismiss the dremel too easily. It’s a good tool for small areas.

Andy

what dremel tool did you have i had the 300 i think it was ' nothing but trouble with the switch

I have been looking at the dremel router and table with the use of a round over bit any one use these for rounding over your intarsia pieces

Attachments

• dremel round over bit.jpg
    dremel round over bit.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 899
Thanks' droogs i think i am running before i can walk .I will see how things go with my intarsia and if things go ok i will invest in one or something similar Alan

I use a combination of a 10" disc sander, dremel with various burrs/sanders etc, palm sander, hand sanding, files and rasps

The first two are the most useful though

On occasion I also use a set of smallish drum sanders, I can't recall where I got them now but they were only a cheap set of four (similar to the dremel type) these can be used in a drill but more effectively in a drill press

I've got the B&D "Powerfile" which is similar principle but bigger than the Proxxon (they're rather expensive here). The Powerfile (stupid name 'cos it doesn't really file) is sometimes useful on bigger concave curves.

I also have a Dremel drill (mains) and an Aldi knock off copy with various HSS etc bits and sanding drums, including some home-made ones used mainly in the pillar drill. I often use one of these with a flexi drive, using a plastic hand wash bowl between my legs with a DE connection to the shop vac, as posted here by Claymore.

With a combination of all these plus a Dremel Trio "Router" (which I wouldn't recommend but which I got 75% off a demo model in a shop 'cos bits were missing) I seem to get by.

In my case it often seems to be using "a bit of this & a bit of that" in all sorts of differing combinations. I get by, and it DOES make life interesting. I get where I want to be in the end - usually!!!!

Back