round skew chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Phil. Cheaper than Ashley Iles.

Chris. These are HSS whereas yours is tungsten carbide.

Robbo3":261djuut said:
Chris. These are HSS whereas yours is tungsten carbide.
Aha! Yep, not thinking straight here. (Feeling less cheated with my £2.71 investment now. ;-) )

I did just that several years back and it is the best skew chisel I have. HSS of course 8) Easy to use, moves easily on the rest and it keeps a good edge.

https://flic.kr/p/24aWqbf

https://flic.kr/p/26VzUex

The ferrule is French 22mm copper pipe. It's great because it is HARD

I got a smaller bit as well and did a triangular point tool. It was a bit of an experiment and it's really good for getting into tight corners and using the face edges as small undercutting shear scrapers.

DSCN2567.JPG

Mine's a bit different. The first guy at the club I showed it to said the handle was awful, he'd have to change it - and the second picked it up and said what a comortable shape it is. Of course I made it for me, not them. :D
A nice useful tool for a total cost of about £4 :D

Attachments

• DSCN2567.JPG
    DSCN2567.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 835
Not to be outdone by Phil's craftsmanship, here's the tool I created for putting a burr on my scraper:
_MG_7237.jpg

Note the sensitively carved, ergonomic design of the handle.

Attachments

• _MG_7237.jpg
    _MG_7237.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 758
DSCN2575.JPG
DSCN2576.JPG
DSCN2577.JPG

Another one, this time ground at an angle. Not a perfect cylinder as it's only being turned smaller, but this piece of softwood cut quite nicely (especially as it was done from a wheelchair and half done left handed), and it's a cracker for pommels. I've done another as a small negative rake scraper - that seems to work well - three tools for nine quid can't be bad. :D

Attachments

• DSCN2577.JPG
    DSCN2577.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 618
  • DSCN2576.JPG
    DSCN2576.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 618
  • DSCN2575.JPG
    DSCN2575.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 618
A friend of mine has been badgering me to make him a skewchigouge so Phil's link provided the ideal opportunity

Tool - Skewchigouges.jpg

Made a spare while I was at it.

Attachments

• Tool - Skewchigouges.jpg
    Tool - Skewchigouges.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 584
Back