Rob Cosman's winding sticks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for YOU just $174.95! :shock: I'll keep my aluminium veritas ones for now thanks :D

Remember that this guy takes one of his chisels and just grinds a 17-degree angle (a literal 20-second job including turning the grinder on) on the cutting end and charges $30 more for it.

Never trust a man who used the word "Cosmanised" :lol:

Was the email dated 1st of April by any chance?

:shock: and I thought his saws were a rip off. No doubt, there will be plenty daft enough to buy them.
Does he actually use winding sticks? I saw one of his videos where he was flattening a piece and just kept using his bench to check it was flat. He made the whole process last 40 mins+ and it still wasn't flat.

A pair of winding sticks were the first thing I ever made for the 'shop over 40 years ago and I still use them. It takes all of about 15 minutes (if that) to knock up a set; just find a decent bit of stable timber and you're sorted. I used mahogany for mine but it's not crucial as long as it won't move - Rob

Why's everyone so indignant, I just don't see a problem here.

If someone is prepared to spend £150 on winding sticks then that's absolutely their business, we're all free to spend our money anyway we like.

And as for Rob Cosman, well if someone really is prepared to spend £150 on winding sticks, then the first rule of economics suggests that's a demand that is absolutely guaranteed to be met, so why not by him!

And actually, looking at all the hand work that's gone into those winding sticks, £150 isn't that unreasonable.

What's more it's in the nature of simple devices like winding sticks for the pricing to be pretty binary and out at the extremes. Think about it, there are really only two valid designs for winding sticks. Either fully loaded with mother of pearl sighting spots, brass alignment pegs, torrified wood...and then charge £150. Or you rip down some scrap bits of ply and charge £1.50. Anything in the middle is a bit pointless.

scooby":1tuz2ixi said:

:shock: and I thought his saws were a rip off.

Arn't they cross cut?

Met the guy years go at an Axminster show, nice enough then but seems to have drifted to a parallel universe in the intervening years going by his videos. But fair play to him if he can get folk to part with such sums.

It’s the same with all these gurus especially the Americans their acolytes don’t appear to care what things cost they have to have the latest bit of merchandise.
I noticed Swartz has recently bought out a chore coat, a cotten shirt that retails at the bargain price of $185.00 though if you’re looking for extra large they’re sold out, so presumably plenty of takers.
Clearly if you can build up a faithful following there’s money to be made & good luck to them, beats hard graft.

Jacob":2li8bl26 said:
I want to be torrified when I die.

Personally I have terrible health anxiety which means I’m torrified of dying.

Fitz.

Ps. If you don’t laugh you cry.

Noel":19392eq2 said:
scooby":19392eq2 said:

:shock: and I thought his saws were a rip off.

Arn't they cross cut?

Met the guy years go at an Axminster show, nice enough then but seems to have drifted to a parallel universe in the intervening years going by his videos. But fair play to him if he can get folk to part with such sums.

:D

Doug B":1n97trcu said:
..... a cotton shirt that retails at the bargain price of $185.00 though if you’re looking for extra large they’re sold out, so presumably plenty of takers......
It'll be those fat f....rs with loadsa dosh. Up the revolution!
Might get Pamela on the job - she's just been given an overlocker and we are wondering about commercial possibilities, plane socks and the like.

I have no real opinion on these in the same way I have no real opinion on Aston Martins.
If I had enough money to buy this stuff I wouldn't be worrying about buying one.
It's a non existent problematic decision I will never be in the position to have to worry about.

Agreed it's not a necessary purchase but then neither is most stuff. Why buy coffee when you can live off water? Why buy better coffee when cheap coffee is coffee? Why buy super rare expensive coffee with beans so rare they have to be eaten by civet cats and s*at out first?
It's not about relative cost, it's about value and worth. And that's variable.

When people regularly post those ever so regular posts about people selling a lamp made from an old blowlamp, or a deckchair with one leg painted orange or a pallet with coasters bolted on and a glass top going for insane prices I look at everyone going mad and getting irate and I don't think that. Probably because I don't work hard making decent quality stuff for a living.
What I honestly think is this:
'Why do I get out of bed at 4am and drive to London, hang off a 10mm rope 100+ meters in the air, freeze in winter, cook in summer, deal with eeijits everyday, RAMs, building managers who went on a two hour course about rope access once and think they know more than my 20 year invested level 3 experience to do a job I don't think I have ever once been thanked for, that will never fulfil me other than financially.....

.... When I could make money selling this tat to people with more money than sense and still have a day or two spare to make stuff I am proud of each week.
(I know I am underestimating the time invested in selling/ marketing etc. Just having a rant.)

This (Cosman) stuff might be frivolous and over priced but it's not being sold in an underhand way. Nobody is scamming anyone. Personally I don't see any issue. No one has to buy it. It works and is of good quality if unnecessary.

Genuine question, back on track.
Why is there a circle sight added in the middle at the bottom of the winding stick. What's the utilitarian purpose of that if any?

Cheers,
Chris.

Bm101":spkhcn54 said:
Why is there a circle sight added in the middle at the bottom of the winding stick. What's the utilitarian purpose of that if any?

It's to quickly and precisely centre both winding sticks on the workpiece...that and it looks good!

A solution so obvious I didn't dream it could be necessary. We live and learn.
Thanks as always Custard.

Back