Rob Cosman's winding sticks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve Maskery":35rcv6nl said:
When I made mine, on here somewhere, I made one solid piece and then deep ripped it. I figured that if there was going to be any movement at least both halves would move in the same way by the same amount.

My first sticks were made from one piece as well. But they moved in different areas. I will try to salvage them again.

Just noticed Philly Planes sells them for £49 plus shipping

Winding Sticks are used to detect twist (or “wind”) in a board. When flattening a piece of timber it is possible to plane it smooth but for the board to still be twisted.

Our Winding Sticks are made from quartersawn Walnut. One of the pair has a Maple inlay to make sighting easier and both sticks have a mother-of-pearl “centre dot”. They are hand planed to make a matched pair – please store them safely when not in use to maintain their accuracy.

Once you begin to check your work with Winding Sticks you’ll notice a definite increase in precision – components will fit together tighter and you’ll find that it is easier to glue up projects as you need much less clamping pressure.

Price £49 plus shipping.

Jacob":1ch6nzvb said:
I want to be torrified when I die.
Be careful who you say that to Jacob, you might end up being killed by a dyslexic axe murder.

Although it does seem crazy for that price - Custards points are spot on, if you can, why not?

Not sure about the "15 minutes to make" though, but that speaks more to my lack of abilities.

What do ppl think about his Kerf X-10?

https://robcosman.com/products/rob-cosmans-kerf-x-10

Had to google it. Looks neat!
$100 is about 75 quid.
Think it would be so easy to make it would be criminal to buy one. You could make this with a bbq, some lumpwood charcoal,a hairdryer a hacksaw some spare brass and steel stock and some sandpaper. Epoxy maybe or peined rod.
Materials under a tenner if you have the other bits. Couple of hours give or take to make and fit for an amateur with bare minimum of hand tools.
Whereas Bill Carter showed people how to grind flat an old chisel for free as a scraper and said it wasn't his idea but (re) popularised it for the love of sharing knowledge, this guy would have you believe you need to buy a professionally blunted chisel with a mahogany handle and while you're at it let me charge you an 300% markup for blunting it for you!
He's not a monster though. In real life I'm sure he could well be a lovely lovely guy.
Lets be straight up here. This is a First World Problem lol.
He's not selling women into the sex trade or pedalling drugs to children.
Said it before, if someone chooses to buy into that school of thought that's up to them. He's not conning anyone except those who choose to buy into it. A fool and his money etc.
That looks like a handy tool. Might make one and sell it for £50. :D If I can make and sell 4 a day I'd take that. :wink:
Fair play to the man for making a living. Wish I was doing it.

Edit: I'm going to buy a whack load of worthless brass back saws on ebay. Ready made Y-11's. Yep Y-11's. :D

What I need is Free Delivery Steve. It's all honey after that mate. :D

Steve Maskery":3n6iuenw said:
Bm101":3n6iuenw said:
If I can make and sell 4 a day I'd take that.

Making, no problem. Good luck with the selling!
There's a chap on InstaG (Liam Rickaby) who only makes these things and can't get rid of them quick enough...and he charges more than Philly - Rob

Back