rippled beech?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
Never seen this before. I bought a plank of beech and because its dark in the warehouse i just thought there was a saw cut pattern on the rough surface. When i put it through the thicknesser, it came out looking really pretty.
This pic does not show the full central swirl pattern running the length of the entire board.
Strangely, the other side only has this pattern for half its length.

Any idea what would cause this in a beech tree?

rippled beech.jpg

Attachments

• rippled beech.jpg
    rippled beech.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 349
Wow, lucky buy Bob!

sunnybob":26nu2cw7 said:
Any idea what would cause this in a beech tree?
Same thing that causes it in other species: nobody knows.

It's a prize board alright, but are you sure it's Beech, for example do you see the signature small flecks on the quarter sawn faces?

Leadwood-Desk-Domino-Marks.jpg

Attachments

• Leadwood-Desk-Domino-Marks.jpg
    Leadwood-Desk-Domino-Marks.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 316
Just a thought, but I'm wondering if that board might be Pear?

Pear is a much more common timber on the continent than in the UK, like Beech it has a very fine grain with small pores (in fact it's even finer), but Pear is far more prone to all sorts of interesting figure.

Here's some Pear showing some ripple figure,
Pear-02.jpg

When Beech is steamed (which it often is) it also can have that pink tinge. But if you look at a quarter sawn or rift sawn Beech you'll see distinctive little "pips" like this,
Beech-01.jpg

Beech-02.jpg

Beech-03.jpg

In a dark timber shed I guess it's possible that a board was misplaced and wrongly labelled. Who knows, pure speculation, but if you snagged yourself a board of Pear for Beech prices then you should be doubly delighted!

Attachments

• Pear-02.jpg
    Pear-02.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 284
  • Beech-01.jpg
    Beech-01.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 284
  • Beech-02.jpg
    Beech-02.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 284
  • Beech-03.jpg
    Beech-03.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 284
looks like beech to me.
I still cant get a picture that does this plank justice.
i'm going to have to do furniture just to show it off, dagnamit!.

beech 1.jpg

beech 2.jpg

beech 3.jpg

Attachments

• beech 1.jpg
    beech 1.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 272
  • beech 2.jpg
    beech 2.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 272
  • beech 3.jpg
    beech 3.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 272
Got it, that's Beech, just a very very special board of Beech.

If I were you I'd be hot footing it back to that yard to hoover up whatever matching boards may still be there!

This is really interesting - I’m working on a Seb Cox inspired desk, using beech for the frame instead of hazel. The piece of beech I used also had a slight ripple, it’s quite beautiful. I’ve worked hard to try and incorporate it into the show faces. I was also unsure how common this was.

Not in the shop now but of all the pics I have on me these sort of show it off!

IMG_2920_lo.jpg

IMG_2919_lo.jpg

IMG_2782.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2920_lo.jpg
    IMG_2920_lo.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_2919_lo.jpg
    IMG_2919_lo.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_2782.jpg
    IMG_2782.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 225
Just been back and searched through about 30 planks of all shapes and sizes. Nothing.

philipjdall":10rmjq76 said:
This is really interesting - I’m working on a Seb Cox inspired desk, using beech for the frame instead of hazel. The piece of beech I used also had a slight ripple, it’s quite beautiful. I’ve worked hard to try and incorporate it into the show faces. I was also unsure how common this was.

Not in the shop now but of all the pics I have on me these sort of show it off!

I like this desk. it deserves its own thread with some more pictures!

I am planning to make a thread for it, which i really should get round to! Unfortunately working on the drawers I had a horrible accident with the router table which has halted production. That also needs it's own thread actually :)

huh? you talking to me? are you in cyprus? Afraid I cant do limassol friday, we have a party of over 30 people to cater for over this weekend.
How long are you there?

Roger, thats a bummer.
There is a large wedding party coming out starting today from our home town. we are staying with them in a hotel in ayia napa for the week.
first time this has ever happened. just bad timing.
I will pm you and see if we can arrange anything.

Ok bob but don't worry I have plenty to see and do used to be in the RAF at Akrotiri haven't been back in Cyprus for a few years

tips for people who are going to limassol after many years break;
Its a LOT more expensive, be prepared.
Its a LOT busier, be prepared for UK style traffic in the town centre.
It would be handy if you read russian, because all the restaurant menus are written in it, and most of the banks come from there.
They have a mega rich marina now, worth going window shopping, but leave your credit cards at the hotel.
Its HOT, I know you lot have 30 degrees at the moment, but you have to add another 8 or 10 at this time of year. leave your long sleeve shirt and tie at the hotel.
Saving the best till last;
Theres a tiny little tucked away saw sharpening shop that not only sharpens my bandsaw blades but also sells titebond glue. Fascinating place, but leave your wife at the hotel.

Memzey, we found a very upmarket hotel right near the forbidden city that lets you rent a super duper sunbed for 25 lira a day which is what emu is charging now.
The pool is not as big as EMU, but the luxury is way up there.
but dont worry, we will make emu at least one day. we got at least 5 kids and I've lost count of the adults this year.
If you can find a sanding sealer or end grain filler that is not explosive, that would be worth several beers to me on top of the purchase price.

Back