RIP or not RIP?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskywill

Established Member
Reaction score
Can somebody please confirm whether this is a rip saw? It has 4 1/2 TPI.
RIP..JPG

Attachments

• RIP..JPG
    RIP..JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 650
whiskywill":1sbiewpq said:
scooby":1sbiewpq said:
I'd imagine 4 1/2 tpi crosscut would be pretty rough.

My thoughts too. It's just that the rake of the teeth looks a bit more than I expected.
Thanks for your quick reply.

It has a pretty relaxed rake. My veritas rip saws came with a relatively relaxed rake compared to other manufacturers. I prefer them that way.
On one occasion, I did file one at a zero rake and I really didnt get along with it and refiled to the original rake.

I was thinking to myself that the steel had a fascinating surface patina... until I realised the saw was on the right :lol: :lol:

ED65":1jmhqa5i said:
I was thinking to myself that the steel had a fascinating surface patina... until I realised the saw was on the right :lol: :lol:
Got to admit, when I first glanced at the pic I though the saw was on the left and the right was wood. #-o

It's a rip saw.

The give away isn't so much the shape of the teeth, it's more that the teeth are flat (or nearly flat) on the front edge. However, a lot of woodworkers (myself included) prefer a little bit of fleam even on a rip saw, which is why I say look for flat...or nearly flat.

Another way of approaching this is, when you're trying to distinguish between rip and cross cut, don't look at the side profile of the saw blade, look at the individual teeth and more from the front, that's where the critical information is to be found. If the teeth look like tiny chisels then it's a rip saw, if the teeth look like tiny knives then it's a cross cut saw.

My rip saw had a rake like that, and when I posted my woes with deep resawing (a 13 inch board) they all laughed at me on here!

Filed more aggressive, and I skimmed (comparatively) through the cut.

Very relaxed rip. Even a big tooth rip saw comes in handy from time to time cross cutting, though (large slabs and timbers, they're just the ticket).

Latest posts

Back