Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By Bm101
A straight arm will do for 1 angle. Out of use can hang down.
Are we getting a percentage if you sell these? :|
By Bm101
Ghee... *the
Typo.
Sorry.
Unless this is for a particular project you aren't telling us about, Mike has the easiest design by miles for a one off for your kids. Two bolts and rope. If its for something more involved then maybe share some knowledge?
By nirajshah31
Bm101 wrote:A straight arm will do for 1 angle. Out of use can hang down.
Are we getting a percentage if you sell these? :|

Oh yeah- a bar at the bottom.. I was hoping to keep that clear though.
This is just a project to make it for my son! Rather than buying/ordering from China!
By nirajshah31
Bm101 wrote:Ghee... *the
Typo.
Sorry.
Unless this is for a particular project you aren't telling us about, Mike has the easiest design by miles for a one off for your kids. Two bolts and rope. If its for something more involved then maybe share some knowledge?

Sorry- where would the rope go? How would it help to keep open?
I can only imagine the rope being useful when closed
Ta
By nirajshah31
MikeG. wrote:How about a rope between the middle of the two lowest "rungs", the ones lying on the floor?

Oh so this relies on gravity to stay open and restricted max opening by the rope.
Ah- thanks.
But I want to secure it staying open ...
Ps rope isn’t Often child friendly
By Trainee neophyte
nirajshah31 wrote:
MikeG. wrote:How about a rope between the middle of the two lowest "rungs", the ones lying on the floor?

Oh so this relies on gravity to stay open and restricted max opening by the rope.
Ah- thanks.

First of all, what does everyone else do? https://duckduckgo.com/?q=pickler+trian ... iax=images

There seem to be two camps here - best is a fixed, three sided triangle (doesn't fold, but is rock solid safe. This would be how I would go about it,given that my small, precious child is going to be testing this to the limits and beyond, especially when I turn my back for a moment.

The second option is a heavy bracket to protect the apex: Image.

My plan would be to make a three-sided triangle, and have it pivot at all corners so you could fix it as structurally secure in use, but fold it up to put away. In other words, make one more side than you were planning, with or without bars, which would hold it together.Image

Anything that could fold up with a toddler attached seems like asking for trouble, especially if you are answerable to the overprotective tiger-mum. I see why you want to make one yourself - these things are expensive.
By nirajshah31
Thanks for the reply.
Agree with your comments... but I want it to have 2 bars at the top so it can be perched upon
Must be foldable, safe and secure.
I saw this folding mechanism - but I am not sure how secure it is?!

Following this mechanism route, I was then thinking I’d add 1/5 circumference star (instead of the full star) and let it sit within a channel. This create my restricted pivot. Use a bolt to ensure it stays open.

I guess my two options to make it sturdy (assuming I still need to?!) would be
A) add another piece of wood at the apex (bolting to both sides)
B) add an arm to make a full triangle at the bottom.

Pls let me know your thoughts
Thanks
Attachments
85BD4A04-1CA9-4048-8FB7-8BB5494D41BF.jpeg
By Doug B
If you don’t want adjustable angles then a triangular frame is the way to go either fixed or hinged so it can be folded up.
I definitely wouldn’t opt for rope or cord to triangulate it not for use with babies or very young children.
By MikeG.
nirajshah31 wrote:

Ah- thanks.

OK then, replace the rope with two bits of wood pivoted in the middle. If one of them overhangs the pivot you could put a pin through and lock them into place.