Replacement belt sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fred55

Established Member
Reaction score
Just melted part of my Performance 750w sander (available for spares if anyone wants it - FMTC750BS). So thinking about upgrading to 4" makita type not dewalts as the dust port is on top and my sander spends most of its time mounted upside down or sideways not the best to adapt. So any comments regarding Makita reliability if mounted on frames. Is it worth upgrading from 3" sander to 4" sanders. There are such a lot of other makes any recommendation considered.

thanks

I've gad a Makita 9404 for years, my recommendation is based on the fact that I would buy one again if it blew up. However, spares are easy and reasonably cheap, so no matter what I could break I can repair it.

Tracking works well, I use a city pad with a carbon pad over the top which I replace about every 6 months. These apart from the two screws that hold the pads down are the only consumables I've found with the machine.

A side port enables me to clamp it upside down on the bench if required. Mainly if I have to, it gets clamped in the vice. Dropped it from heights up to 10 feet and its bounced without any damage.

Dust extraction into the bag is fairly good, but not like my Mirka Deros which is outstanding, having said that it is also plumbed into my extraction system so nit really a fair comparison

Thanks look like a new 75mm makita 9911 and a 100mm table top sander. You can never have too many tools !!

I'm well on the case for a new sander - this is a good bench mount adaption pinched from anothers thread www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvTvEBQ1Lss - what is quite puzzling is the power of some of the hand held machines up to 1200w - My union grad has 750w 1hp and the motor is a big heavy iron lump ! the fairies must design the new motors.

fred55":p805nkfy said:
I'm well on the case for a new sander - this is a good bench mount adaption pinched from anothers thread http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvTvEBQ1Lss - what is quite puzzling is the power of some of the hand held machines up to 1200w - My union grad has 750w 1hp and the motor is a big heavy iron lump ! the fairies must design the new motors.
You don't need a bench mount with the square Bosch design - it'll sit on the bench upside-down quite happily.
1200w is for floor sanding. 750w will do it but a bit underpowered for very big jobs.

Purchase made Bosch PBS 75 A Belt Sander the square shape (pointed out by Jacob) and the longer flat bed when compared to the makita 9911 was the deciding factor - £76.94 Aximinster. will review and post good/bad point in due course. Now to find mixture of sanding belts 40 to 400 grit belts. Thanks for comments shopping is much easier from the chair, non of that driving round and settling for what they have.

Axminster - ordered 12 o clock tues arrived 9.30 wed - 10/10 for delivery service.

I have a Makita 9404 Belt Sander. Solid machine with variable speed and the lighter of their 100mm sanders although after a while of sanding vertically you wouldn't think so!

Latest posts

Back