Repair stripped thread on a Record 778

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just4Fun

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Record 778 rebate plane. It was new when I was given it as a gift 2 or 3 years ago. I have used it often but only recently wanted to move the iron to the forward position for better access to the end of a stopped rebate. This is when I discovered that the thread in the body is stripped, so I cannot hold the iron to the body in that position.
If I tap a new thread in the hole do I risk cracking the body of the plane?

Not if you drill the right size hole first.

Pete

Do you have the tap already? Just asking in case you'd like to consider using epoxy to rebuild the existing threading.

If you drill and tap a new hole, you'll need to obtain a new screw - which could cause problems fitting through the lever cap. Mind you, if it's a recent Irwin it may have metric threads, which could make finding screws much easier.

Irwin are owned by Rubbermaid. I think your thread may also be rubber-made :mrgreen:

Cheers, Vann.

ED65":2zh4qtg6 said:
Do you have the tap already? Just asking in case you'd like to consider using epoxy to rebuild the existing threading.
I do have taps, even though I have rarely used them. I had not thought of using epoxy to rebuild the existing thread but I like the idea. I have not tackled the job yet so I may give that a go.

Vann":2zh4qtg6 said:
If you drill and tap a new hole, you'll need to obtain a new screw - which could cause problems fitting through the lever cap.
Excellent point, and another good reason for me to try epoxy as a first step. Also it would be awkward to have different screws to use depending on which position I want the iron, so changing to a larger thread is perhaps a last resort.

If you have someone local who can turn up a threaded sleeve for you to match your existing bolt then you could just drill a plain hole to press fit or bond it in.

Save you trying to thread full depth in a blind hole.
sleeve.jpg

Attachments

• sleeve.jpg
    sleeve.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 472
A helicoil or other threaded insert is the way to go but it's a proper machinists job in my opinion. If you don't have anyone who might do it as a freebie it might be expensive (relative to the plane cost) if you had to pay someone . The parts are cheap enough it's just the time to do a nice job of it.

Cut the rebate as far as you can with the blade in the normal position, then pare out the remaining waste with chisels, or chisel a clearance for the front of the plane to run into. Alternatively, invest in a bullnose shoulder plane.

For the amount of time the forward blade position on a rebate plane gets used, it's just not worth the bother of repairing the threaded hole, unless you fancy it as a challenge in it's own right.

CC, sound advice for getting the job done but can't agree about the repair.

I think any repair to a tool that can reasonably be done should be done, reasonable being down to each person's experience, tooling, free time etc. An epoxy repair is within the scope of nearly anybody, nobody could argue their time is too valuable to do it, it takes no skill really so it's just the cost of materials if you have to buy in a suitable epoxy, or filler for your go-to epoxy adhesive.

And if it doesn't work there's no real penalty, you'll have lost a couple of quid maybe but the plane isn't ruined and remains repairable by other means if need be.

Back