Repainting Floorboard - Advice needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vierjennings

Reaction score
Hi all

I am going to paint over some floorboards in my living room this week.

Whoever painted them before seems to have done a great job as they havent scratched despite a lot of recent furniture movement! They do now have added paint on them now though!

I want to paint over them in a dark brown varnish.

I am wondering how far back do you think these need sanding? (please see attached photo).

Would I need to go back to bare wood, or perhaps just lightly sanding? Also would I need to use a primer/undercoat or will I be okay as they have already been treated?

Thanks in advance

Rich

Attachments

• 21981791_10155767179626477_1195618673_o.jpg
    21981791_10155767179626477_1195618673_o.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 733
If the existing finish is in good condition it's not usually necessary to go back to bare wood. As long as the surface is thoroughly cleaned and sanded uniformly matt you should get good adhesion, but you should run a test in an inconspicuous spot to confirm before going ahead on a wider area.

Ah that's great.

Will certainly try on a smaller patch before hand. It's a big room so I will hope it works!

Thanks for the advice.

Sounds like you're making a big investment in this project. Read the product instructions carefully and follow them to the letter, if you've unanswered questions then contact the manufacturer directly, in my experience they're only too happy to help.

The manufacturer has a vested interest in the outcome plus technical expertise in their own products, no one on this forum can match that.

Good luck!

Had to postpone this job as I have been ill & work has just been manic.

Back at it this weekend. The product description on the varnish I have purchase has said to essentially scuff the floorboards up before varnishing.

Ive attached some photos. I am mid job.

Do you think this is acceptable?

In the photo you can see a floorboard keyed next to an untouched one.

Appreciate the advice.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 596
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 596
Best advice when painting floors... dont start at the door.

I would have hired one of those commercial rotary sanders for a half day

Back