Removing red wine stains

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jorge Rodrigues

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I’m looking for some advice please.

I split red wine over my oak table over night.

It looks as if it has soaked in the pours.

Is their any way of removing the stain?

Jorge

Not really, other than gentle washing. If you try too hard you will just make another mark.
Or soak the whole top in red wine to balance it out?

Jorge Rodrigues":jfn8kw01 said:
Hi Geoff and Mr Percy,

Did this product work?

In my case it did. Much the same issue as you had, red wine but on a pine table. Mind you, I had it in the shed and so got it on the red wine stain before it had fully dried. That
might make a difference, the fact that it hadn't completely dried out.

Like all cleaners through, go careful. It is a bleach so be careful not to bleach out the surrounding wood.

Good luck :D

Jorge, did you finish the table yourself or is it a commercial piece?

Regardless of what it's finished with there's a fair chance you'll need to strip the tabletop or otherwise remove the finish to tackle this properly. Cleaning or bleaching agents needs access to the wood itself and any finish on the surface acts as a partial barrier.

BTW if you get the Liberon product linked to above pay careful attention to the usage instruction, this type of wood bleach is a concentrated solution of oxalic acid which is toxic. It's quite safe when wet as long as common-sense precautions are taken but after it dries it turns into a powder and you want to be careful not to breathe this in if you can.

Back