Reducing Fan Speed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marineboy

Established Member
Reaction score
My wife is at that age (hormones) where she carries her own weather with her. She is always hot, and finds it difficult sleeping, particularly now it’s summer. On the other hand, I tend to feel the cold, so I have been thinking of a solution to make the bedroom environment suitable for us both.

A fan on the floor on her side of the bed may be the answer. I have two, a tower type and a desk fan. Trouble is, they are so noisy. I’ve looked at the Dyson ones which claim to be quiet but a) lots of reviews dispute this and b) they are very expensive.

So I’m thinking that if I could make one of my fans spin more slowly it might still shift sufficient air to have an impact but be quieter. Does this seem feasible? And how do I achieve this? I was thinking some sort of rheostat but am unsure as to whether this would work or if there is some other solution.

birthday suits might be the answer? :shock: =D>

or seperate duvets with different tog ratings if you really need to be covered. I dont think youll find a quiet fan that actually pushes air around though.

Thought about the two different quilt scenario but there would be an overlap of the two in the middle which would make the situation worse.

As for birthday suits...no thanks.

Marineboy":35yespkj said:
... I was thinking some sort of rheostat but am unsure as to whether this would work or if there is some other solution.
Not with normal domestic/office fans, they are induction motors, those with speed selectors usually achieve the difference by switching the internal wiring to change the number of pole configurations.

Slowing one of these down with a rheostat (a resistor) may cause the motor to slow but risks the motor overheating because the current in its wiring will more than likely increase considerably because of the lack of back emf generated by the motor.

Plan A part 2....
Its fairly easy to sew two single duvet covers together, or run a line of stitching up a double, and then slip whatever rating each wants into their own cover.

In the winter we suffer the opposite. so on top of the (thinnish) duvet we have another empty duvet cover as a blanket. if I get too hot I just fold my side of the empty one on top of hers.
In summer its just the empty cover. Sorted.
Although I still think plan B has some entertainment value.

We have a ceiling fan that is quiet - works well. If you get a reversible fan it can draw the air up which may well be sufficient without cooling you too much.

Brian

In the past I’ve made a box with two computer case fans in with plastic water waste pipes attached to the top with elbows attached. The box sat on the floor and the pipes went up under the duvet on my wife’s side. It was pretty effective and not too noisy.

The quietest fans tend to be large bladed ones that turn more slowly. They move a decent amount of air without so much noise and turbulence. Get a big fan and run it on slowest setting. They're probably cheaper than some custom solution.
You can make the bedroom nice and cold and add extra covers to your side.

Thanks for all the replies. Ceiling fan had crossed my mind as it fulfils the criterion of slower speed/greater air volume. I shall research some options in this direction.

thick_mike":6o3d7vfb said:
In the past I’ve made a box with two computer case fans in with plastic water waste pipes attached to the top with elbows attached. The box sat on the floor and the pipes went up under the duvet on my wife’s side. It was pretty effective and not too noisy.

Thats the kinkiest posting this site has ever had. =D> =D> =D> :D :D

All over the southern US ceiling fans are normal - heaven knows you need it. They're great; slow speed, quiet and move a lot of air. I've just fitted one to the conservatory bought from Wayfair.co.uk - they seem to have the best selection over here and they're really easy to fit.

sunnybob":oc2kin0n said:
thick_mike":oc2kin0n said:

Thats the kinkiest posting this site has ever had. =D> =D> =D> :D :D

:lol:

Sideways":2uyo8y4i said:
The quietest fans tend to be large bladed ones that turn more slowly.
^ This.

Also, most fans have a cage or grille on to stop you catching stuff in the blades - I am in no way officially endorsing you messing around with this safety feature.... but with numerous 120mm fans running at over 3000rpm in my PC case, most of the 'fan noise' comes from the airflow being pushed through fan grilles, radiators and dust meshes, not the actual fan itself.

You could get some 200mm PC fans and run them through a fan controller, which is literally a potentiometer to control voltage. Needs a 12v power supply/converter. Good thing is they come with mounting holes in the corner, so you can easily rig a frame up.

Back