Record Techical T5 plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galleywood

Established Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying one of these - how do members rate it's performance as a shooting plane?
Thanks.

galleywood":1zimhxnf said:
I am thinking of buying one of these - how do members rate it's performance as a shooting plane?
Thanks.
It works OK if you can find one with it's side handle still intact. If not, it's easy enough to make one by hand or using a lathe - Rob

It's pretty much the same as any other No 05 just with a threaded hole in the side for a handle, an uncomfortable handle to use at that. There's a marginal difference between a No 05 and a T5 other than the T5 is a little shorter for some reason and has a little more reinforcement in the castings, the only reason being they were used extensively in schools by kids that would drop them often so they needed to be a little sturdier. There really isn't anything that makes them better for the job of shooting other than the (Bad) handle and they are generally overpriced even on auction, you could pick one up for £50 or so if you were vigilant but I would personally not bother with the T5.

You could easily pick up a nice No 5 or 5 1/2 for £20-30 and adapt it to have a handle for shooting and still have change left over.

Back