Record Imp Vice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where practical fill the pipe with water and freeze it solid! Not quite so good, pack tightly with wet sand.

I'm bringing this thread back because it's great and I enjoyed reading it to help choose my new vice. I saw someone earlier linked the Fabrex 424 which, although not as nice as the Imp 80, can be found for cheaper. I just took a punt on this on ebay. What do you think from the potato-quality photos? We shall see! £14.95 is a gamble I am comfortable with. I can't add the link as a new member the but the description reads "sold in used condition some wear marks to the chrome"

I did have a question for anyone who might know; If the jaws need refaced, is this a tricky job? I have access to a hobby mill however I have read about jaws needing to be un-hardened then re-hardened after the milling. Is that something you would recommend?
You can see someone's lovely restoration of one here which I hope to copy to an extent: again I can't link but if you search "Fabrex 424" on youtube you'll see it. Proper gorgeous!

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 222
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 222
Hello
Can anyone tell me if the Anvil (puck thingymabob) comes out of the Imp (like the No. 74)?
Mine is stuck (as was my 74) and I would like to know before I damage something.
cheers

Sorry about this - but does anyone have proven ways of getting a stuck one out?
I've left in WD40 for a day and given it a good old force with mole grips.
I think because of the thread and less natural clearance (or screw hole) for any penetration - it is proving more difficult than removing my No. 74 Anvil.

Back