Record Imp Vice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, I've managed to find something on the Espacenet site, using your GB310723 number.
How I got there, I'm not sure.
Yes the 74/5 vices are very much bigger brothers to the Imp.
It's the Valve holder holes that have me puzzled, now it seems they are for straightening bent valves, or bolts. Quite how escapes me, unless the bend is in the "right" place.

Bod

Bod":251didph said:
It's the Valve holder holes that have me puzzled, now it seems they are for straightening bent valves, or bolts. Quite how escapes me, unless the bend is in the "right" place.

Bod

I think the holes for straightening valve stems are quite simple - you would insert the stem or bolt, feel for where a kink prevents it going further in, then give it a knock with a hammer to take out the bend. It's just a convenient solid lump of metal with (presumably) holes which fitted the valves in use at the time.

The holes are less than 2 inches deep, on my 74. They are different diameters, for inlet/exhaust valves.
Wouldn't be a great deal of use when the stem is bent at the head end, better than nothing in skilled hands.
Maybe why they stopped making them. No skilled mechanics to use them.
Nice vise, gets around many of the design failings of the standard engineering vise. Has some of it's own though. (exposed screw, under jaws)

Bod

In addition to the Record Imp and Woden Titan, I can add the Paramo A1 (or A-one)

a1.jpg

Yeah, I was prowling eBay.

BugBear

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 1,285
Interesting. The Paramo doesn't appear to have a pipe bender, unless my eyes are deceiving me?

me too! what a relief.

although I am not a serious tube bender, I think it is fair to say it is in a better position on the paramo.

nabs":h59u5f1c said:
me too! what a relief.

although I am not a serious tube bender, I think it is fair to say it is in a better position on the paramo.

Agreed; more clearance for movement/access. Although it might put more loads
in a "bad" direction on the clamping arrangement. I think I'd want the vice
screwed to the bench before I used the pipe bender.

BugBear

memzey":1ro7y8kh said:
I've got one of these:

It's a cracking little vice. The anvil behind the rear jaw is super useful for bashing small bits of metal into shape.

That's the same basic design as the Record v75 which is still available under the Irwin Record brand name.
135537_xl.jpg

The Imp is more like a mini version of the bigger Record mechanics vices.

Aah I think I get it. The pipe bender is designed to take the pipe horizontally as opposed to vertically right? Cute.

memzey":t9vqundk said:
Aah I think I get it. The pipe bender is designed to take the pipe horizontally as opposed to vertically right? Cute.
=D> =D> =D>
=D> =D> =D>
=D> =D> =D>

:D

BugBear

adventures in tube bending

apologies, I have the day off from work and seem to have rather too much time on my hands.

The vertical tube bender arrangement does indeed mean the jaws interfere with the tube. However, it is possible to put a bend at the end of a tube if you so wish, as I have demonstrated below.

I think the "slight" crunching is a result of the poor quality tube, rather than down to my tube bending technique or the Imp (both of which are excellent!)

35zr6c5uFSZNqWi90TiJMjWyg4EIkWS3vXQRQX58PIlmqintFINUiA

SzLWv18KxXj1ABs9Nok1O4gsZeMpauUXlPk81cHFCk3LAyL5ks9PQw

nabs":3klrdlr7 said:
adventures in tube bending

apologies, I have the day off from work and seem to have rather too much time on my hands.

For all of us reading this, you have exactly the right amount of time on your hands!

(I must get round to trying mine out... :wink: )

I suspect it should be renamed a rod or bar bender; I don't see how it can do a good job on tubes; crumpling appears inevitable.

BugBear

Back