Record DML36Sh MK2 replacement banjo

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hgrove

Reaction score
Hi All

Having acquired the above wood turning lathe as my first venture into the hobby I'm struggling to find any parts for it.

It was given to me without any tool rest or mounting device to attach it to the bed bars... which i believe is called the banjo, would anyone have any ideas or links to replacing it?

I have only seen full units for sale on ebay and gumtree and will continue to look but any help would be appreciated

Many thanks

Hi Fred

They are out of production and record power don't have any spares left.
They also couldn't offer any other options unfortunately

Cheers

So i spoke to record power today and they told me the cl3 banjo wouldn't work with my lathe as the updated bars are ‘bigger’
Though you would think i could just tighten the nut at the base of it.

If theres is anyone out there with an RP cl3 / cl4 lathe and could confirm this for me?

Cheers for the help guys

I took the plunge and ordered the new replacement banjo intended for the cl3 models and its true that it doesn't fit but only by a couple of mm so i've decided to remove some material from the bottom cast section of the banjo, incase anyone else finds this useful i'll update with how it works

cheers again

I’m looking into this too for my DML24X. :)
Just wanted to know how you are getting on with yours?
I have the advantage that I have to original bottom casting, so based on your previous post, just swapping this casting should make it fit?

Thanks, I have been, but the DML is so old any bits seem to be long gone!
I do still have my original banjo, but trying to upgrade to a cam lock version.

Fatcapp, on my DML24 I got a coach bolt that the square bit fitted the banjo top groove, dropped it down through the banjo, ground off the lugs that are on the clamp underneath and welded a bit of steel to the coach bolt nut for a handle.

Loftyhermes, that's exactly what I have done too! The problem I have is that the movement in the coach bolt makes it so sticky that it drives me insane! Hence hoping a cam lock banjo might fix this.
As I have not physically seen one of these, I understand that it may still have the same issue which is why I was looking for an update from the OP.

Hi All, new to this forum. May I ask for advice, I am thinking of buying RP DML36SHMk2 from someone it comes with the stand. It’s up for £325, is that too much? Should I offer £250, less/more? Cheers

Back