Record 250ML Lathe Problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broadsea

Reaction score
I have a Recored Power 250ML Lathe and the headstock now does not turn when the power switch is engaged. I need to turn the headstock quickly to get it going. I have been told it could be the capacitor but can someone twll me where this is housed and is the size of the capacitor needed on the existing one. I have no idea how to change one of these but have been told it is not hard. Can anyone help. Its only just 1 yr old but cannot remember where I purchased it

If you look at the back of the motor down near the rubber foot, there's a small black rounded cover on the side held on with a couple of bolts. The capacitor is under there and the rating is usually written on the side of them.
Loads of them on eBay, the only thing you may have to do is change the terminals on the wires to suit, or Record will supply a new one although it may be a bit more expensive.

I have written to record as they say there is a 5 year warranty. They may offer to get it sorted because to send it back from the highlands would cost about £60 each way....and I do not have the packagung to wrap it all up

That makes sense, they're usually very good to deal with in my experience so shouldn't be a problem.
If you're anywhere near Inverness and need a hand with it then just give me a shout and I'll see what I can do.

If you look at the side of a single phase motor it will have either a terminal box and/or a box with a capacitor mounted separately.
If you need to change the capacitor, which is most likely the (very common) problem, you may notice
it bulging which is a sure sign.
You can get capacitors for less than a fiver on the bay or where ever you please.
You will see the micro farad rating on the thing with UF ....
Just look for one with these ratings, the only snag would be if the capacitor needs to fit in the
plastic box, so check it with a ruler first.

Good luck
Tom

Thanks Tom, I will have a look this week when the weather up here improves. Believe it or not we have a lot of sea harr and you cannot see for more than a couple of feet...lol

Back