Recommendations for saw sharpening file please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColeyS1

Established Member
Reaction score
I've always sent my tenon saw off for sharpening but fancy having a go myself. Are all saw files the same or is there a particular brand I should be looking out for? My dovetail saw could do with a sharpen as well.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I use a Bahco file I got from Amazon. It seems OK to me, though I am no expert. I also use a couple of other anonymous files if I happen to pick them up first and have no problem with them so perhaps it doesn't matter much.

Thanks chaps. I've had this one in my eBay basket for sometime but couldn't commit to buying it.
30b2b130957095a88cb32a3152176118.jpg

After having a wooden handled file for years I think I'd prefer to try something different. Thanks again

I have a few Bahco files like the one in the picture and they are very good.
BUT there is a worldwide problem with files. As hand tool demand reduces, makers have shifted production to countries which are low cost but can lack the experience, skills and stages in production which make proper files. The result can be files which look ok in a picture but fail in use.

A few years ago contributors to an Australian forum did some research on this. Their findings are in this long thread:

saw-files-tests-23-files-tested-by-3-experienced-filers-t72419.html

I'd say that if you find any old stock saw files, snap them up while you can.

I too have a couple of double-ended Bahco saw files (wooden handle) - excellent. But they're both at least 40 years old.

Not sure about modern ones but I would have though that regardless of which country they're made in, provided the company does the proper QC (material, cutting, and heat treatment) it matters little where they're actually made.

But I haven't followed AndyT's link so perhaps I'm wrong?

Droogs, How do you order from them as their web site has no page to order from. Do you simply email them. Do you have to buy a dozen at a time.

[email protected]

I usually just order a couple of each that I need, email an enquiry and they will give you current pricing. Never bought any large rasps etc but i do get saw files, riflers and my metal files from them

The Bahco saw file I have is double-ended but unlike the one pictured above it has a wooden handle. I bought it quite recently (1 or 2 years ago) but maybe they have changed the product in the interim.

I picked up some of the Bahco double-ender types, based on the TPI of my different saws.
Workshop Heaven usually have most, if not the full range, as well as other brands. Prices seemed about right compared to some other sellers.

Droogs":vpxl2eou said:
I order my files direct from these guys. Good cost and excellent quality:

http://www.tomefeteira.com/produtos.html
I'll send them an email. My what I'd call normal flat files have also been used and abused- could be an ideal opportunity to replace them all. Shame they haven't got an online shop with a basket type checkout though.

I don't want to get into "private detail" Coley, but just for interest I'd like to know the rough current costs of decent files these days - I haven't bought any for years.

TIA

Latest posts

Back