Rebuilt "sun room" at last!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pike

Established Member
Reaction score
I finally got around to rebuilding my falling apart ugly "sun room".

Here's a before and after (not quite finished yet)

extpic.jpg

DSCF2424-2.jpg

The glazing is 4-12-4mm toughened and planitherm. The oak framing is 121mmx44mm with 25mm window stops. Only two walls are oak, the others are brick. It sits on a few courses which I left there from the previous higher wall.

The roof is onduline and ply. The cladding is reclaimed sports hall oak.

Now I'm trying to decide what to do for the door. I originally planned to do fully glazed french doors, but have since sketched it up and decided I don't like the look. I'd love it to be one door so it matches the shape and size of the windows, but I can't see me hanging something that big and heavy on hinges off one fairly modest post.

I'm wondering if I could use some henderson sliding door gears, faced fixed on the double header. Can Anyone enlighten me on how you draught proof a faced fixed external sliding door?? I'm guessing its just a scase of havign the right gap between door and frame then using strong brush type strips.

Thanks to all who advised me on various bits of the job!

Cheers
Carl

Seconded! Very smart indeed.

Will you be doing a w-i-p to show it being kitted out with a bench, tools, storage etc, or is York now a lot sunnier than it used to be?
:wink:

Cheers James & Andy! I'll see if I can dig out a few wip pics. If I told my missus I was going to use it as a workshop I'd be in trouble. Since I started we've now got a 9 month old daughter who has been promised it as a playroom...

There's going to be decking for about 1.5m around the front and side. Hopefully in time for the famous North Yorkshire summer!

I still haven't got a workshop, that will be going at the other end of the garden but is a project for another year.

If anyone wondered why the header sticks out like that, I had originally planned a larger overhang on the side too but realised it would probably sag without changing the roof structure significantly. Now it's going to be home to a kids hammock. Happy accident :)

The original was actually worse than it looks! Rotten timbers inside and falling down in one corner, so I had to build a new wall between it and the garage.

Just got a quote for sliding door gear... ! Now reconsidering french doors.

Carl

Latest posts

Back