Radiata pine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in Australia it is the main pine sold as we also grow lots of it. It is reasonable to work with if you get clear stock but that usually costs more. The really knotty bits can sometimes be not worth the bother. Mainly a building wood but ok for that pine look rustic furniture. Can make an OK bench also. The tree is the Monterey or California pine.
Regards
John

Thanks guys. The reason I ask is that a friend has had a "bespoke" kitchen built and she was sold on the basis that all of the
cabinets are "solid wood". That wood is Radiata Pine. I'm not going to say anything to her (long story) but is this really
suitable for kitchen cabinets?

I think it's quite an attractive timber.
I have some here waiting for the right project.

Geoff_S":58mux786 said:
Thanks guys. The reason I ask is that a friend has had a "bespoke" kitchen built and she was sold on the basis that all of the
cabinets are "solid wood". That wood is Radiata Pine. I'm not going to say anything to her (long story) but is this really
suitable for kitchen cabinets?
Many years back I did a kitchen make over using Radiata for the doors and drawer fronts. I managed to find some boards that had a sort of birdseye grain. Looked ok and we had it for quite a few years. I guess if they selected good boards for the build it will do the job. There is a wide vairation to the timber quality but the better bits are ok for a lot of applications.
Regards
John

Geoff_S":1pfy9fd1 said:
... is this really suitable for kitchen cabinets?
We're a bit obsessed these days with hardwoods but think of all the old pine dressers and other bits of kitchen furniture which survived long enough to become antiques, some in use for generations.

However, softer woods will certainly collect scrapes and dings more readily! I presume the seller didn't say anything about this, maybe you could gently prepare her?

Back