R.I.P. No 10

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shed9

establiSHED member
Reaction score
Just had a Stanley No 10 delivered (Ebay purchase) and it's dead :(

The packaging was barely bigger than the plane so can't say I'm that surprised. As soon as I saw the box, my heart dropped and I opened it hoping it had survived - sadly not. I don't understand why they don't get well wrapped by people who know tools??? This thing survived two World Wars and was killed in the end by dire packaging and for the lack of a slightly larger box.

Not my first casualty and I suspect not the last. I sometimes ask people to pack them well and remind them that cast iron is brittle but didn't think this was necessary as the seller clearly knew his tools.

Sad day for No 10's............

Edit: Seller is being super responsive and dealing with it professional which has taken the sting out somewhat, just the death of plane to mourn...

well at least you get your money back and the experience of having to deal with an ebay claim might make the seller do better next time.

Brandlin":35bxim8o said:
well at least you get your money back and the experience of having to deal with an ebay claim might make the seller do better next time.

Yeah I know it's a mild inconvenience to me, just feel bad for the unnecessary aspect of it.

Had a 5 1/2 type 11 plane turn up a while back in a jiffy bag. The thing was in multiple pieces and the seller was a tool seller. Beggars belief...

I sell quite a few planes. The safest way to ship them is to well bubble wrap and box them, then well wrap that box up and box again - double box. That will withstand the worst of carriers. :)

RogerP":hamfeqo7 said:
I sell quite a few planes. The safest way to ship them is to well bubble wrap and box them, then well wrap that box up and box again - double box. That will withstand the worst of carriers. :)

Don't suppose you have a well wrapped No 10 do you?

damn that's annoying, you'll definitely get your money back though so I wouldn't worry too much, you'd think the seller would know better though, it's not hard to wrap it up in bubble wrap and pack it properly.

Not related to tools, but I purchased a 1930's cast iron caravan cooker from eBay last year for one of our vintage caravans, ( yes another hobby ! :D ) and it came packed in a loose thin box that had burst one side, all that was keeping it in was a bit of parcel tape. Needless to say the main frame had broken in half. So I sent a somewhat irate and lengthy email to the seller about packing and such........
At least he refunded my money and said I could keep the cooker. Since I've stripped it down and I think with a bit of luck I might be able to braze it together again. but I might not, old cast is as you all know very brittle and it might just crack more as I braze it. So hopefull saved, but it could have been well packed and intact still after 80 years !!!!!! dont it make you MAD !!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

To be fair, I think the seller is kicking himself as well. As noted on the edit in my OP he is being very responsive and professional about the whole thing which has significantly taken the edge off it all.

That heart sinking feeling when you open the package is awful.

I own one of the old low knob Stanley USA No. 3 planes - but it has a broken (but repaired) tote/rear handle and so I kept a look out for a replacement. Finally found another whole plane being sold in the USA for spares/repairs but it had an intact tote. Ordered, waited, waited a bit more, it arrived, bubble wrapped and in a box, and dang it all if the tote hadn't managed to snap in half on the way, more or less in exactly the same place as the one I had!

So I'm still looking for a vintage Stanley USA No. 3 tote in one piece.. grrr.

shed9":3hwh7krs said:
Brandlin":3hwh7krs said:

Yeah I know it's a mild inconvenience to me, just feel bad for the unnecessary aspect of it.

Had a 5 1/2 type 11 plane turn up a while back in a jiffy bag. The thing was in multiple pieces and the seller was a tool seller. Beggars belief...

Hello,

Jiffy bag, bloody luxury! I got a 06 in brown paper once, literally one layer. Miraculously, it arrived in perfect condition and it is of my best planes. Every time I use it I can't help remembering my heart stopping when the currier knocked on the door and handed me the packet. I couldn't believe there wasn't a mark on it. Ironically I couldn't really complain about inadequate packaging to the seller because clearly it was just right!

I have a spare number 010 if the OP is in need, but Record not Stanley. (It has a Stanley iron)

Mike.

Sorry to hear about this shed9, it would be bad enough with even a common bench plane but with a no. 10 my heart just sank. Glad the seller is being a mensch and all but so easily avoided :-(

woodbrains":2zzyimhp said:
Jiffy bag, bloody luxury! I got a 06 in brown paper once, literally one layer.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

That's just unbelievable, but I thought worth immortalising:

GihcD8j.jpg

I've had three planes arrive broken: a Rapier No.500 (No.5 size) no great loss; a Record No.05 - would have been a really nice plane; and a Stanley No.4 that had the side broken off before posting - so bought for parts anyway.

I don't like using bubble wrap. The first time it's dropped some bubbles burst, so the next time there's no protection in those places and it's likely to get damaged. When I sell something I use corrugated cardboard - custom modifying the box to fit the plane (or whatever) and usually at least two layers. Never had a problem.
RogerP":1yu3j964 said:
Double bubble and double box should be good.

Cheers, Vann.

[quote
I have a spare number 010 if the OP is in need, but Record not Stanley. (It has a Stanley iron)

Mike.[/quote]

PM'ed,

Regards,
Dave

Dovetaildave":1sl095nz said:

Mike.
PM'ed,
Just be aware that Stanley use a completely different frog arrangement to Record. Record use a standard No.3 size frog. Stanley use a much earlier frog design in their No.10, No.10 1/4 and No.10 1/2 planes, that aren't interchangeable with No.3 or No.5 1/4 planes.

Cheers, Vann.

Op could turn the No10 into one of those supper rare chisel planes that turn up on Ebay all the time.

Talking about bad packaging. One of the shops in Bakewell had some NOS Marples parring gouges a number of years ago. First batch had the gouges in the bottom of the box with scrunched up newspaper in the top of the box, the gouges punched a hole in the side of the box and some made their escape. Contacted the shop who sent a second batch packed exactly the same way with a similar escape by some of the contents. Some people just don't learn.

No 10 is going back the seller, he's already refunded me even before I've shipped it back to him. I can't really complain there.

He may get low marks for packing but 10 out of 10 for dealing with an issue.

Back