Question Re Axminster Trade AT150PPL Precision Pro Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunsaen

Reaction score
Hi.
I'm looking at the Axminster Trade AT150PPL Precision Pro lathe mainly for pen turning but also or other small projects.
Does anyone know if this lathe would be suitable for turning a small pepper mill? I know I would need to buy some parts but I'm not sure If the lathe is "big enough" turn a mill successfully.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Bunsaen":1f76fhp6 said:
Hi.
I'm looking at the Axminster Trade AT150PPL Precision Pro lathe mainly for pen turning but also or other small projects.
Does anyone know if this lathe would be suitable for turning a small pepper mill? I know I would need to buy some parts but I'm not sure If the lathe is "big enough" turn a mill successfully.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Not sure on this one, I think you may be on the margins. Have a look at the video (if you haven't done so already) on the Ax site - Rob

The problem with that lathe is that finding attachments to fit like chucks and the like. If you intend to make other things as well then go for a lathe that has a threaded spindle and something like an MT2 in the end as well as tailstock

The lathe appears to have a collet chuck so some jiggery - pokery (technical term! ;) would be needed to mount a hollow cylinder, as in a peppermill. There appears to be no facility for mounting a scroll chuck instead (unless you could find one with a M24 thread) and no morse taper in the spindle either. Drilling the blank on the lathe would be difficult too because of the limited space between centres. Assuming you could use all the available space (and none was taken up with any secondary work holding gadget) it would probably limit the maximum length to under 6".

If you want a lathe to do things other than pens and bottle stoppers etc. this wouldn't be the first choice. There are more versatile lathes available for less money which will also turn pens!

:) Thanks for the replies. Lots of good advice. I’ll look at options for a midi size lathe and the mandrel etc for turning pens.

A bit late, but now there's a new kid on the block aka the MIDI II also from Kingcraft in Taiwan and sold by Drechselbedarf K. Schulte. I received an email about this midi lathe this morning and the Midi II has some interesting updates.

https://www.drechselbedarf-schulte.de/b ... Article/48

The old FU-350 looks very much like the Axminster AT350WL, also from Kingcraft. The new one looks like the person specifying it knows how to take a good product and improve it. Perhaps some of the changes will roll over into other seller's products before too long as making separate castings for headstock and tailstock, V pulleys etc. available wouldn't maintain an economic advantage?

I don't have (or plan to get) any of the company's products but I know that they are v. happy to supply it direct and at competitive (delivered) prices e.g. compared to Simon Hope or Ed Oliver.

Hi.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
I noted your question and I guess by now you have had sufficient replies to make a decision on the type of lathe you require. You may not know that Axminster Tools no longer sell the AT150PPL lathe as it is not in their new catalogue. I bought this lathe last year and can tell you that it is a professional pen lathe and essentially designed for that purpose. In can also be used to turn up to 1/2" dia dowell for very small items for dolls houses and jewellery making. Despite what one user says on Youtube there is no chuck available, confirmed to me by Axminster, and despite my trawling the internet no one makes a chuck with the thread size of the main spindle, and no one makes a conversion piece of the two sizes required to install a small chuck either. As the drive spindle is not a morse taper you cannot use those morse taper chuck found on eBay either. They are mainly sold for metal work lathes. Axminster did make a comment on the potential of straining the bearings. I am an Axminster fan and bought a AT406WL lathe, but I use it most days for bowl, plates and pots. Our club, the Society of Christchurch Turners uses a AT350WL lathe for demonstrations which is a brilliant piece of kit but does carry a £1000 price tag. There are of course a whole range of cheaper lathes which will serve your purpose for small items and won't break the bank. Record Power DML250 at £250 looks good and I use a Record RP2000 compact scroll chuck for a lot of my work. If you haven't done so get a copy of their catalogue. It is also worth getting a copy of the Axminster Tool catalogue and one from Turners Retreat. If this comment is not too late for you I hope it helps.
Regards and good luck.

Back