Question re Acrylic Sanding Sealer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marineboy

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m in the process of making a small box out of mahogany and ash and as I need to finish the lid before assembly I am looking for some advice re the finish.

I understand that the open grain nature of both woods would benefit from the filling abilities of sanding sealer, and am looking for a smooth but not overly glossy finish. I am therefore thinking of sanding sealer followed by wax.

My question is whether acrylic sealer is as effective as shellac or cellulose. I have moved away from using high VOC paint in general in favour of water based products (quicker drying, low odour, and in particular ease of clean up). I know that cellulose or shellac dries quickly so that does not come into the equation but I value the other two aspects of using acrylic.

I have little experience of finishing hardwoods so would appreciate some advice.

Main thing will be longer drying time before you can further prepare the finish.

Although primarily talking about Turning Projects the same facts apply whenever using such products This Video may help

Acrylic use is addressed about 9 min. into the video.

Marineboy":2j9077ab said:
Hi Chas. That’s really helpful, thanks.
The other videos (there are 4 so far) addressing Finishing in general, sanding and waxing may be of assistance as well.

Latest posts

Back