Probably not the best marketing for Sawstop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alternatively a crown guard that fully encloses the blade would have made the incident impossible. A physical barrier is always preferable to technology.

I've seen the hotdog test and the inventor putting his finger in, it's hugely impressive technology but they do it painfully slowly giving the saw an unrealistic long time to detect the flesh, I don't think it simulates normal working where you'll be pushing stock (and possibly fingers) at higher speeds.

Might not be infallible but I guess it's gotta help in event of a mistake. I'd certainly get one if I had the space (and money!).

Someone in the comments states that since they've been selling these, there's been 2,000+ incidents where it's been activated and saved someone's fingers.

Really? looks pretty bad to me. Of course it could have been much worse, but not what I would have expected given all the marketing.

Am I missing something? Is it not proving that the tech works brilliantly on a real person's finger, when all previous official demonstrations have had to be on hot dogs?

I've had a SawStop from the days when they only had one size, almost ten years. The video did exactly what I would expect it to do. The demonstrations are always done slowly and I know that in real life an accident, also known as "I did something stupid" happens much faster, potentially leaving you with more damage. With the blade brake an injury will always be much less that without. The saw did what it was supposed to but the operator didn't and he got bit. Without the blade brake his thumb would likely be gone. Festool has bought the company, so it is anyones guess as to what they will do with the technology. Perhaps incorporate it into their mitre saws, or just licence the system at a lower cost that the competition will be willing to pay for, or only paint them green. :wink: I do know when the first saws were out for a while their website had a blade brake equipped bandsaw in development so the technology is adaptable to other machines.

transatlantic":2nxjvc72 said:
Did you see my second link?
Sorry transatlantic, I only clicked on the second link thinking it was just a text link to the video - I didn't realise it was two separate videos.

After viewing the first, I guess I'm a bit surprised that there was that much damage when the mechanism worked, however I think it indicates that as the guy says: if the mechanism didn't trigger, it would have been *significantly* worse.

He's a very lucky silly person...

The first video the guy thinks he pushed his hand into the Saw by accident, if the Saw hadn’t stopped he would have had a very very serious injury / amputation. In the second video the guy was very carefully deliberately touching the blade hence virtually no injury. Why he would choose to touch the blade where its going into the table rather than the other side I don’t understand.......but testing an unknown system with your hand seems seriously certifiable!

There is no substitute for a crown guard and keeping your hands away from the blade; but I do think that Saw Stop or similar should be mandatory on all saws where the blade is small enough for it to work, particularly for the DIY saws

Saw stop seems totally insane to me. It's perfectly easy to completely avoid getting your fingers anywhere near the blade; use two push sticks and a crown guard. Use two push sticks safely even without a crown guard. Proper push sticks that is - not the various grippers and over-designed gadgets sometimes offered
The saw stop just encourages bad handling - and one day it won't work as it is supposed to.
https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-push-stick-100237

Its rare to see any American in a video using a guard tbh. Even when most of the time they are just cutting ply.

Norm is to blame. lol.

Jacob I'm going to have to call you on that. The SawStop doesn't encourage me in any way to be less safe than without, because the guards are so easy to put on and off the saw. Guard on when doing through cuts unless too close to the fence and the riving knife for buried cuts. I also do use push sticks but never plastic like you linked and more substantial at that. My previous saw had such a bad guard it was never put on and didn't come with a riving knife. As I said earlier I understand that if my hand gets dragged into the saw there will be an injury and I'll have to go to the hospital. I will still have a hand to fix though. You might become complacent if there is a blade brake but I am not. Do you believe seat belts and airbags makes for a sloppy driver?

Even when Americans use guards I'm not impressed with them . The one that Rex uses after his accident doesn't look like it would prevent finger to blade contact should a slip occur in front of the blade. Those guards on planers that swing away when the workpiece is pushed through also look a bit suspect to me as they leave the blade unguarded. I suppose the idea is that they don't need adjusting for different thicknesses of workpiece.

Chris

Inspector":3egb7x90 said:
..... I also do use push sticks but never plastic like you linked and more substantial at that. .....
They work really well but are consumable - I expect to lose bits of push stick rather than finger. Don't particularly need to be more substantial.
But I make copies from ply or mdf to save having to replace them too often, though they are very cheap.
You get into the habit of using them all the time on TS, spindle (if not power fed,) and over the planer. Very good control and near zero risk of accident, even without a crown guard.
The other key safety technique is to avoid intervention if something is going wrong. Back off, let it fly, let it destroy the workpiece, but don't try to grab it and risk losing a finger.
Simple safety techniques cost next to nothing and are highly effective, even with defective machinery with no guards or riving knives etc

I agree with sentiments above regarding safe use of a table saw, and it probably does negate the need for a saw stop, however just yesterday I watched the lads from the unit next to my dry dock cutting up 4x2 into small blocks for fire wood with loads of nails on a triton workstation with no guard and no mitre fence, just holding both sides of the wood and pushing it through the spinning blade. I would love them to get a Saw Stop.

Paddy Roxburgh":3mbyx84h said:
.. I would love them to get a Saw Stop.
Simpler to demonstrate some safety techniques. Cost nothing, immediately effective.

Mr T":3aaupwc1 said:
The [guard] that Rex uses after his accident doesn't look like it would prevent finger to blade contact should a slip occur in front of the blade.

I agree, the blade is almost sticking out in front of the guard. The upgrade which is on his wish list looks to be a much better design.
My main guard is a SUVA-style one which adjusts for height automatically, fully encloses the blade and allows me to do grooving and dado cuts, too.
I f I need to do something where that guard is unsuitable (yesterday I was making an angled cut, so I had my fence on the left of the blade), I have a magnetic stand-alone guard.
I also have some jigs with built-in guards, such as my Ultimate Tablesaw Tenon Jig, so between the lot there is not a single operation I cannot do without having a guarded blade.

Inspector":wxahiwab said:
Do you believe seat belts and airbags makes for a sloppy driver?

Absolutely.

On my DeWalt saw I keep the crown guard on all the time, it still works even if the blade is tilted 30 degs (no idea if all crown guards work like that?) and as Jabob suggests I use 2 pushsticks, my hands are never near the blade and I have a healthy fear/respect of the machine but if an extra bit of safety like saw stop was available I'd still take it and hope I'd never need it.

I think it's a shame the other manufacturers didn't take the opportunity to license the tech and make it more affordable/available. Festool acquiring it just makes it worse.

Back