Powered vs. Non-powered Respirators

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J_Ashley

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to compare the performance of the filter ratings in the power respirators (e.g. TH1P in the JSP Powercap, TH2P in the Trend Airshield) to those used in the normal half mask respirators (e.g. P2 in the Trend Airace, P3 in the JSP Force 8)?

I get how the TH2P performs better than the TH1P (and same with the P3 vs P2), but I don’t understand what’s the performance difference in the non-powered reusable half-masks vs the powered full mask respirators.

Sorry I don't know about the filter ratings, can't help there but I've seen that the reviews for the powered Trend one are simply awful. Lots of complaints of slow charging time, poor performance from batteries, discomfort, poor build quality. I'm gutted as I really wanted one of them.

J_Ashley":2a7jekn7 said:
I don’t understand what’s the performance difference in the non-powered reusable half-masks vs the powered full mask respirators.

It suspect it can't be quantified.
Regardless of the actual filter material capability it is the fact that any face/half face mask is only as good as the seal between the mask and the face to prevent the intake of dust arround the seal or through the exhaust valve as oposed to through the filters.

Powered full face shield masks aim to achieve the increased protection by supplying a positive pressure cleaned/filtered air to the whole of the face in adequate quantities to avoid the risk of sucking dust laden air in from the sides. Their ratings are based on their ability to supply sufficient clean airflow to guarantie this lack of inward leakage through any gaps.

granted there are different systems here, but the filter remains the same. A face mask will be rated with a P number. P1 being almost useless except for large chunks of wood, P3 rated for 99.9% of all dust.
Obviously, the mask MUST be a good fit. If youre steaming up your glasses, then the air is escaping around the nose. Which means the dust is coming back in unfiltered.
So if a face mask is NOT fitted correctly, youve reduced its efficiency by at least 50%.

A powered mask still sucks its air supply through a filter, which will have the same rating system as the mask.

Its therefore possible that a mask rated as best quality but poorly fitted will be worse than a powered mask with a lower filter rating.

I use P3 face masks and take the time to fit them properly by blowing in and out very hard to see if i can feel a draught around my eyes.
So far I have not found any powered system that uses P3 filters.
You pays yer money and you takes yer chances.

OscarG":3hh82wnv said:
Sorry I don't know about the filter ratings, can't help there but I've seen that the reviews for the powered Trend one are simply awful. Lots of complaints of slow charging time, poor performance from batteries, discomfort, poor build quality. I'm gutted as I really wanted one of them.

Really? I bought one circa March 2017, charged the battery overnight as directed and haven't had to recharge it again yet. Admittedly, it's not used for hours on end, day after day, however had I left my camera batteries (which cost more than the Trend mask) that long between charges they'd be flat when I tried to use them.

Once I get it adjusted to my odd shaped head, I hardly know it's there. So much so that at times I forget to remove it after use till the cold air starts to hurt a bit.

As for build quality then yes, it's not built like a tank which would make it very uncomfortable to wear and I doubt it would be up to the rigours of site work (neither am I) but I feel they've achieved a decent balance between wearability and durability.

I bought one because I was experiencing some seriously sore sinus pain. That stopped once I started using the Trend. Few weeks back I made a "few quick cuts" so thought I'd get away with not using the mask; won't be making that mistake again!

I too have nothing, but positive things to say about the Trend full face mask, having a beard makes it the obvious choice.

Mike

Back