One Small Step for....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry Chas... I'd forgotten (loose marble) your engineering background... didn't mean to teach granny to suck eggs :oops:

oldsoke":4napmqhk said:
Sorry Chas... I'd forgotten (loose marble) your engineering background... didn't mean to teach granny to suck eggs :oops:

No problem Graham, I have a job remembering peoples names let alone what their background was/is :oops: . Response not intended to get at you, just the result of memories flooding back of short sharp words [-X to some brainless individual who should have known better.

Three more pieces with Melamine finish:

click on images for larger view

_____Muhuhu(148mm)__________ Pau Rosa (225mm)__________Sycamore (140mm)

Differing gloss levels due to application dilution and burnishing results.

I like those Muhuhu and sycamore shapes 8)

Have you tried adding woodwax 22 on to the melamine... or using the burnishing cream?

oldsoke":adc4wsba said:
I like those Muhuhu and sycamore shapes 8)

Have you tried adding woodwax 22 on to the melamine... or using the burnishing cream?

Yes Graham, I am using burnishing cream, trying to get gloss finish without the wax if possible so have not applied it to these items.

The Pau Rosa has the highest sheen, and was the item with least attention and effort.
The Muhuhu gives the impression that it is between the two, but I am inclined to believe this is just a characteristic of the woods light reflection.
The sycamore item originally came up to a high gloss but had one or two build up streaks which I cut back with webrax, has burnished to a very smooth finish but without a high gloss over most of the bowl.

May try Friction Polish on the Sycamore to see if I can get it to build without streaks.

More Melamine finish trials on some home cured wood:
_____Hazel(163mm)_______________ Hazel(172mm)

More Melamine finish trials on some naturally cured wood:

___Ancient Kauri (180mm)_______ approx. 45,000 yrs old

The Source of the wood Ancient Kauri Kingdom, New Zealand

Looks and turns like a very dense Red Cedar, If tools are sharp and a good burnish obtained with heal of gouge then a polished finish cut results.

Needs care with finishing as surface is easily marked (semi soft) by a stray fingernail or stray wood shaving, tool/sanding imperfections really stand out.

Todays catch:

___Tambootie (150mm)_________ Turkey Oak (125mm)_________Sycamore (125mm)

The Turkey Oak (UK grown) and the Sycamore finished in Melamine (unburnished).

The Tambootie is oiled, almost left it as Natural Finish and just buffed with soft rag the wood was so waxy. Virtually impossible to sand because the abrasive clogs immediately just as though rubbed on a block of hard wax.

When is an Off-cut not an Off-cut: :?:

When it is a Turning Blank of course: :roll:

Serviette rings and Pill holder__________ Pau Rosa_______________Yew (128mm)
_Walnut,___Oak,___Beech

kafkaian":3ub2jelo said:
It was the power and versatility of the router which cemented my love affair with woodworking
Just be careful you don't feed it finger food:

kafkaian":3ub2jelo said:
All very nice.
Just exploring holding methods with odd little bits, hotmelt rules :!:
Youngest Grandson visiting this evening for the weekend, Serviette Rings and Clock are for him. Got to keep the 8) Granddad ratings up.

Could not start a new month without doing something:

___click on images for larger view
_____Oak(112mm)______________ Beech(135mm high)

___Left Hand Goblet (face on)

Goblets more His and Hers than a pair, must try harder. Both finished in Melamine.

Very nice,as your work always seems to be :D

Love the goblets - they look very nicely proportioned,and the stems look almost as delicate as crystal glasses :shock:

Andrew

Finish looks Good Chas.

It's a personal preference but I like to get the top of the rim of the goblet as thin as I dare... It's what I call an optical delusion (sic).

If I ever get around to using me new camera (nothing too exciting) I'l send you a pic Chas

oldsoke":3i5wl21q said:
Finish looks Good Chas.

It's a personal preference but I like to get the top of the rim of the goblet as thin as I dare... It's what I call an optical delusion (sic)...snip..

Been discussing that here funnily enough Graham; the trial way back last December was much thinner, a bit conservative on these, as they may well get used for drinking by recipient, a few more to go so will experiment.
Melamine is as applied, not Burnished; meets my personal preference for gloss level.

All fired up today; well there was Ash everywhere anyway:

_____ ___click on image for larger view
__________ Ash (138mm high)

Neomorph":17jcqmc0 said:
Chas those Ash goblets look positively stunning... The grain detail is eye-poppingly beautiful too.

Thanks for the comment John, it was the figuring that I was after but did not know how well they would turn out with the distinct hardness differences in growth rings of the Ash.

Maximum Tool use and minimum Sand is the obvious answer.

The left hand one caught me out for a few minutes chasing what I thought were tool bruises, only to discover that they are a feature of the piece of wood and go right through.

398 replies on one thread... surely it has to be a record?

(leave aside the prodigious production :wink: )

Very nice pair Chas... I can almost feel the glow of satisfaction from here 8)

(Fahrt nach Deutschland... very sooooon) :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back