My version of the Wood Whisper Kitchen Helper

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sploo

Somewhat extinguished member
Reaction score
This is my version of Marc's Kitchen Helper (http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/ ... en-helper/). It's a reasonable bit smaller than the original - mostly because our kitchen is tiny.

I was planning on making it from oak, to match our kitchen, but the cost (and the fact I wasn't confident I wouldn't make a mess of it) meant I went for pine.

I've skipped a lot of steps below because Marc's video contains the details, but to make the arcs for the horizontal sections I made a jig, which I've already detailed here: an-arc-or-arch-cutting-template-t91231.html

First I glued up some panels to make the platform. I used a few dominos for alignment:

20150815_101933.jpg

The long vertical sections were made as Marc suggests - bandsaw for the angle, then clean on the jointer. A dry fit of one side:

20150815_160546.jpg

I then clamped on a length of spare wood to use as a fence for the Domino so I could cut the mortises on the face of the side panel:

20150816_125222.jpg

Glueing one side - using the offcuts from the vertical sections to aid clamping:

20150816_143637.jpg

Testing the fit of the vertical beams that join the two sides:

20150817_114208.jpg

Rounding over the panel using a router (the separate horizontals were done on the router table, as per Marc's video):

20150821_161100.jpg

The finished article (coated in a food-safe blend of mineral oil and beeswax):

IMG_8856.jpg

IMG_8861.jpg

IMG_8862.jpg

The satisfied customer (this is her getting onto it for the very first time - why go through the intended entrance when you can squeeze through the side, I guess):

IMG_8865.jpg

In the kitchen:

IMG_8879.jpg

I like it a lot. It beats the small stool I have for our youngest (4) who likes to help me stir the dinner - because it is so small I am continually tripping over it. Your little one looks a fair bit younger. You might regret them being able to reach the table/worktop #-o

Halo Jones":3e21608a said:
You might regret them being able to reach the table/worktop #-o
I already am :)

But, we have a small chair in the kitchen we use for breakfast, and she keeps standing on it. The kitchen helper is much safer, but yeah, we do have to keep everything out of the reach of little hands!

That's a really good and well executed job you've done there and an excellent finish too.
You should have used the oak as you're worksmanship is well worth it!
Thanks for the WIP, and sharing with us.
Regards Rodders

blackrodd":17daj98h said:
That's a really good and well executed job you've done there and an excellent finish too.
You should have used the oak as you're worksmanship is well worth it!
Thanks for the WIP, and sharing with us.
Regards Rodders
Thanks. Though note that all the pics are relatively low resolution - there's a reason for that; it's harder to see all my screw ups :wink:

Back