New Saw - Bosch GTS 10 XC, DeWalt DWE7491, Metabo TS 254

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cacus

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m in the market for a new table saw and could do with some advice. Let me give you a bit of background first.

Firstly my ‘workshop’ not that it’s probably right to use that word! is a small 7ft (2m) square shed that as well as being a shed for the mower and what not houses my wood working tools. I don’t produce loads of stuff and have mainly built things like kennels and gates etc and have had to pull the tools into the garden to do it. I have had (for probably the last 12 years or more) a Charnwood 10” table saw which recently packed in. It was about £125 back then not accurate and would take you 10 mins to set up the fence something like before you made a cut. Hence never having a bash at and furniture etc.
The other thing to know about the shed is that it’s not cast iron friendly in that it will rust anything over time that’s not powered coated etc. Not that it leaks just the humidity over time.

So while looking for a new saw I was first drawn to the Makita MLT100 £350 had the sliding table etc but the the reviews have been dreadful so the budget had to get pushed up.

So the current short list is….

Bosch GTS 10 XC - £525
DeWalt DWE7491 - £730
Metabo TS 254 - £520

I have only seen two user reviews on amazon re the Metabo which moaned the tops not flat.

The only real negatives I have found on the Bosch so far is the fence has issues (for some users.) Which is why I looked at the DeWalt which while quite a bit more than I wanted to pay does seem to have a good fence system. Plus I must confess I am a bit of a DeWalt junkie.

So if any one has one of these saws would they mind comment. Plus giving any issues they may have had. But also..

I know the Bosch doesn’t take the ‘standard’ 3/4 mitre slots but do the others.

Re the DeWalt is it a 30mm blade bore (in the UK) as some places have quoted 5/8” and others 30mm

As the Dewalt (and possibly) Metabo aren’t soft start has any own had fuse/bracker issues with them on UK 240v house mains.

Incidently I have discounted the Axminster TS250 M due to the cast iron table (I know madness!)

Finally (and sorry it’s so log) does a sliding carriage matter if I ultimately guid a sled.

Cheers
Steve

I've had the Bosch for a good few years now - I didn't at the time have room for a "proper" tablesaw, and I've not since felt the need to upgrade yet (though I accept that there are advantages).

Generally I've been pretty happy with it. It has a sort of sliding table which is useful with the mitre gauge, the fence is pretty parallel to the blade (I've added a short phenolic ply fence to it), dust extraction is OK. I added a zero clearance insert without too much hassle, and while it's darned heavy (there are photos on the Bosch site of someone carrying it single-handed up a ladder!) it's easy enough to drag across the workshop on its stand. I'll probably make up a new stand with some heavy duty locking castors and some storage.

What else... I made a sled fairly early on and I changed the blade for an Axcalibur one that leaves a better finish for most work. Repeatability is good enough to make finger/box joints that fit well:

box4-1-sm.jpg

My only regrets have been to do with not having room for something heftier.

i started off with a Makita MLT100 for my home workshop saw, awful thing that burned up under no load... have had a Bosch GTS 10 XC since, i love it... great saw, no fence issues, built very very well... i have no issues with mine.

I've also owned the Bosch saw for a few years now, and really can't fault it - accurate, powerful, and has always done everything I've asked of it.

I have lots of Bosch and Dewalt stuff, and think Bosch generally have the edge over Dewalt ( tho' it's a pretty close run thing) so you can guess what my advice would be!

Thanks for the replies. I had initially decided on the Bosch and it was just this fence issue that had made me look else were and the Dewalt seemed to have a good fence system. I'm not desperate for one at the mo so hopefully others will leave there opinions/experience too.

Cheers
Steve

Seems some users have had fences that are not parallel to the blade/mitre slot or the table (vertically) and things of that sort and have had to put in shims

Hi All
I heed an advice from owners of Bosch GTS J10 XC. I have Dewalt DW745 and near the blade the table is off by 0.04”. I am aware that both saws are contractor saws and don’t expect miracles but 0.04” is a bit too much. I would expect the quality of the table in Bosch to be higher as the weight of the saw is 35kg comparing to 22kg of Dewalt.
I could get a cabinet saw but portability is important for me due to limited space in my shop. Please advise how much your table is off when checked with straight edge. Thanks

I don't know about the others, but my bro has the Bosch. I've used it and I think it is excellent, given its modest size. My bro is happy with it too.

Steve Maskery":2u8vinrh said:
I don't know about the others, but my bro has the Bosch. I've used it and I think it is excellent, given its modest size. My bro is happy with it too.
Thanks. Do you use it for side jobs or you are do more fine woodworking?

poodelek":dfiewvek said:
Do you mean site? It is portable enough, but also good enough for finer work. Remember that work rarely comes finished straight off the saw.

Steve Maskery":di8hqdtb said:
poodelek":di8hqdtb said:
Do you mean site? It is portable enough, but also good enough for finer work. Remember that work rarely comes finished straight off the saw.
yes, I mean site jobs :) I am not expecting ready product straight out of the saw, I just want true , square cuts which I do not always get with my dewalt. Thanks, that give me some idea about bosch. How did you like the fence? I have heard that it may be some play. I must admit that dw745 fence is rock steady

We're in a similar situation, I have to drag everything outside to use it too.
When I was looking for a table saw I had a look at the Bosch, this video was useful then https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptimBvU0fQQ I actually went for a DW745 which I've just managed to sell after getting a deal on the Draper 200mm table saw (a bit like the axminster ts200)

I miss the fact that I can just pick up the DeWalt but the draper table and extensions make it so much nicer to use. At the moment it's still on the cart I made for the DeWalt, but I'm going to tear that down and rebuild it because (without the extension tables) the draper is much narrower and it'll make it a lot lot easier to move it through doorways.

I went cordless with a milwaukee table saw and it dialed in pretty well and I can throw in the garden in the summer with no problems

Attachments

• IMG_2133.JPG
    IMG_2133.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 910
Hi, I have this saw and would really like to upgrade. Could you give me an example of the add ons you did please. Also, have you tried fitting a dadoe set in this. I hear some have buy buying a kit from America.

Thank you

Back