St James' Bay Tool Company infill plane kit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By 'eck that's gorgeous.

Not long now until the shavings shot.

Well done to you both Ian and Mark.

I wanted to get this plane finished this last weekend amongst lots of other stuff - and thought it would be a breeze.
Here's the plane complete with beautifully-engraved lever cap - and finished in all respects except the sole
IMG_2340.jpg

IMG_2341.jpg

IMG_2339.jpg

I started making shavings once the blade was sharp - and then realised that the sole was not flat as I could not take a full width shaving. I need to flatten the sole which must have been distorted during the peening of the riveted sides. Note to self, when experts tell you not to do something, don't ignore them :oops:
Anyway I think it will all be fine in the end - but I just need to get to work on that sole :(
IMG_2338.jpg

It does sit quite nicely amongst some other planes
IMG_2342.jpg

I should be able to flatten it tonight
Regards Mark

Attachments

• IMG_2341.jpg
    IMG_2341.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 1,338
  • IMG_2340.jpg
    IMG_2340.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 1,338
  • IMG_2342.jpg
    IMG_2342.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 1,338
  • IMG_2339.jpg
    IMG_2339.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 1,338
  • IMG_2338.jpg
    IMG_2338.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 1,338
After a lot of flattening on 80G sandpaper to start with, then various diamond stones I think the sole it is reasonably flat
I tried it on some yew and it takes nice thick and thin shavings
IMG_2346.jpg

IMG_2349.jpg

The lever cap really is beautiful - I have spoke to Ian Houghton and he is going to make me the stamp about 80% the size of this engraving. He is a true gentleman and I will be repaying his generosity in kind
IMG_2347.jpg

Outdoorsy shots:
IMG_2352.jpg

IMG_2354.jpg

Overall I am pretty happy with it for a first attempt. I have learned a huge amount which was one of the main aims. I will definitely make the next one from scratch and will be better prepared to avoid some of the pitfalls. I wish I had put an adjuster in as I just prefer planes with adjusters but maybe if I make myself use this one I will get better at adjusting those without adjusters?
Despite what Jimi said I actually really enjoyed making the overstuffed infill. The TruOil is fabulous stuff. My worst error was peening the 3 rivets to secure the infills - it opened a couple of the dovetails a fraction and although it is not completely ruined - they are visible now when they were not before. Not sure what I could have done to avoid that apart from using screws (yes I know you told me so :oops:). I really like my lathe and mill and have used them both since and am gradually owing in confidence. I think the kit is an outstanding way of learning to make a plane.
That's all folks ;)

Attachments

• IMG_2346.jpg
    IMG_2346.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 1,290
  • IMG_2347.jpg
    IMG_2347.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 1,290
  • IMG_2349.jpg
    IMG_2349.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 1,290
  • IMG_2352.jpg
    IMG_2352.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 1,289
  • IMG_2354.jpg
    IMG_2354.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 1,289
Yay, shavings!

Congratulations on not only achieving such a lovely end result, but for sharing all the highs and lows with the rest of us. I'm sure you will have helped others to follow your lead and have a go, aided by your experiences. What's next?

=D> =D> =D>

Nicely done mate, so whats next? jointer? shoulder plane?....

Pete

Well done indeed. I have enjoyed following this thread. You can definitely make one from scratch next time, complete with adjuster :)

Well Mark...you nailed it!

That logo is really the icing on the cake and I'm so pleased it worked out so well...difficult one to crack!

I agree about making one yourself now...I think the one Aled did way back then was a superb example and it's a handy plane to have in your arsenal too!

Great to finally see this thread where it belongs too! I nearly missed it! :mrgreen:

Cheers

Jimi

Latest posts

Back