Wanted - inexpensive lathe for turning chair legs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Surname or what ?

Established Member
Reaction score
Having made my first foray into chairmaking, I now find myself trying to justify buying a lathe. Generally I believe in buying the best I can afford and usually to a higher spec than I think I'll need. But this time I'm going to be sensible. :? Honest I'm NOT going to get hooked on turning. :lol:

So, what should I look at? I guess I'll not need to turn anything longer than 24 inches or more than 6 inches in diameter.

Hi Phil

Despite the fact that you say up to 24" I'd plump for a 36" bed... the price difference is negligible.

Look around for a s/h Record (Pref pre China!) CL1 or similar; they're robust and will meet your present needs. The bits and pieces you might subsequently need are readily available both new and s/h. There's a CL1 advertised on the AWGB site ( http://www.woodturners.co.uk/ ) but for me, it's a bit overpriced :wink:

The alternative is to go for something like the Axminster Perform CCL
http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/3/product-Perform-CCL-Variable-Speed-Lathe-21724.htm at 159.80. I've always found them a good firm to deal with. (this would be my preference because of the ease of speed change... if you can afford the extra go for the CCBL currently on offer with a set of tools)

Pop into WHSmith with your note book and check the free ads in the woodworking mags :shock:

Good choice,Phil - think it is an excellent lathe for the money (I've got a benchtop lathe,but if I had more space,it would be top of the shopping list)

Look forward to seeing what you make on it.

Andrew

:lol: There goes another one :lol:

This weekend it will be a chairleg or two ... then ... lookout!

It is indeed a slippery slope and there is no turning back ... really.

Welcome Phil, and hang on ... it's a long, fast ride.

Graham ... shame on you ... not only helping someone to the "Dark Side", but actually giving them the link to do it with =D> :twisted: :twisted:

Tom

Graham ... shame on you ... not only helping someone to the "Dark Side", but actually giving them the link to do it with

Tom
I did issue a wealth warning... just to cover meself :lol: :lol:

First chair legs... next, downsize for dolls Houses, makes the wood go further :shock: :D 8)

Yup and before he knows it he will be trying those wee lace bobbins! (By the way, I was on attempt #11 before I broke my hand, I will try again when I am better)

Tom

Back