First spalted turning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowerTool

Established Member
Reaction score
Finished today

Picture042.jpg

Spalted beech,finished with friction polish.

Now I know Chas can make three of these before breakfast (going by the workrate in his "one small step" thread) :lol: ,but I like to think I get to enjoy making them for longer :wink:

Andrew

Hi Andrew

Nice piece of wood and a nice result.

It could be the photo but there seems to be small tool marks in the pesky transition area between wall and bottom.

If there isn't I apologize. If there is, on the next one you could try using a power drill with a small sanding disk on it to smooth athat area.

I also gave up on doing flat bottoms on bowls for that reason as well. I now slightly round the bottom to make the transition angle shallower and less subject to these marks.

All in all a good job on a nice chunk of wood.

Tom

Well done Andrew, quantity does not mean any better quality, just more time on my hands and a LOML who is glad to see me out of the way up the shed.

Tom - thanks for the sanding tip (I did power-sand it,but with a 4" disc - guess I need to buy some smaller ones :) )
And on re-examining the bowl,there are some very tiny tool marks at about 8 to 9 o'clock on the bowl,where the grain direction changes,but they look worse on the photo than they actually are on the bowl (I did hand-sand down to 400 grit after the power sanding)

Chas - the quality of you work impresses me at least as much as the quantity :D ,so more time or not,I still admire your ability.

Andrew

PowerTool":1zri5md1 said:
Tom - thanks for the sanding tip (I did power-sand it,but with a 4" disc - guess I need to buy some smaller ones :) )
And on re-examining the bowl,there are some very tiny tool marks at about 8 to 9 o'clock on the bowl,where the grain direction changes,but they look worse on the photo than they actually are on the bowl (I did hand-sand down to 400 grit after the power sanding)

Chas - the quality of you work impresses me at least as much as the quantity :D ,so more time or not,I still admire your ability.

Andrew

Thanks for the compliment Andrew, fortunately my photographic presentation is not good enough to show all the warts. Although deliberately choosing wood with 'natural features' can hide a multitude of sins.
I have found that the Grip a Disc (see thread) is very good at blending any transition lines out, the soft backing conforms more readily to the shape.

As I do not produce items for Display/Show purposes, more to be utilitarian in use items, I find that I rarely need to finish off below 320 grit.
I know this may be sacrilege to some turners but I personally do not like an overly deep gloss finish.
I do spend as much, if not more, time stationary hand sanding with the grain and cross grain rough spots on some pieces especially spalted where it is easy to sand out hollows in the softer wood.

Thanks for the advice - and I know what you mean about "natural features" as I made this a couple of weeks ago :-

Picture033.jpg

Last year,it was a holly tree in my mates garden :D ,but wanted to have a go at something less regular.

Andrew

Hello Andrew,
It might be quite a nice bowl, but the photo doesn't show it. 1. the focus is on the floor rather than on the bowl and 2. it doesn't show the outer shape of the piece, which would give a much better impression of the bowl than this aerial view, which is ok as an additional info.

Thanks for the constructive comments,Horst - Chas is trying to teach me better photography as well :D

Andrew

Back