Finishing turned legs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edmund

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I thought I'd post in this forum rather than Finishing as I'm looking for some finishing tips specific to the turned legs I've just completed. Should I be using a friction polish (the sort of thing Mylands do) or should I just finish as I usually do? The wood is European oak and the finish I'm planning on using for the rest of the table will be shellac then polished with wax.
Thoughts gratefully appreciated. Edmund

Hi Edmund
You need a good level of expertise to achieve an acceptable finish with friction polish on large areas. Not really worth the hassle

I'd recommend using Chestnut's cellulose sanding sealer followed by thier woodwax 22... should give a compatible colour finish with the rest of the table unless you're using a highly coloured shellac... best test on scrap first.

Personally I always add 40% cell thinners to the sealer but Chestnut do not recommend thinning... I kow what I like 8)

Hi Edmund,

I would agree with what oldsoke says as I find it is difficult to achieve a consistent finish using friction polish on anything larger than a pen. The only other option I would recommend is an oil finish such as danish oil. I would paint the oil on quite thick, leave for 10 minutes, wipe off the excess then buff up the finish with the lathe running.

Hope this helps

Mark

Thanks guys.

If I use cellulose sealer is this just brushed on?

I'd be interested to know why applying friction polish is so tricky.

Thanks, Edmund

Hi Edmund,

The fiction polish seems to drag on larger diameters, i believe it's because the polish dries before the bowl, spindle etc has turned a full revolution.

I've thought about turning up the speed to see if it works any better, does anyone know if this works?

Oh yeh forgot, with the sanding sealer I usually use a brush and a rag. I brush plenty of it on then use a rag to work it into the grain. I also thin it down with 40% of thinners, otherwise I find it drys to quick.

Hi Como
Turning up the speed will increase friction = quicker drying!

I prefer to stick with tried and tested finishes... having put all of the effort in I want something reliable... hence Chestnut products 8)

Back