Flattening the sole of a plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good site Alf!
I like the look of liquid crystal glazing and electrochromic glass. How can I fit some of that into the workshop? :D

Crikey, Alf! I never knew I didn't know that much about glass :? :) .

So, if I go into a local glaziers or hardware store and ask for a piece of glass, will they sell me float glass by default, or do I need to specifically ask for it? Even if I do specify float glass, will they understand what I'm talking about :?:

Yours

Gill

I tried a new idea on some old chisels today and it worked a treat.

I got a local engineer to machine the top of a sheet of steel flat for me on his shaper machine. I now have a 1"x7"x11" lump of steel that is dead flat. Placed 600 grit wet and dry on it and in very short time had chisel back nice and flat.

Less than £10 for machining and steel was free scrap. I now have a'surface plate' to check everything on and flatten blades etc. to my hearts content.

Unfortunately I have vowed to only buy LN from now on and so the surface plate will not see the sole of a plane 8)

I highly recommend this approach - check your yellow pages for machinests

Tony

Hi Tony

The steel plate sounds like a good idea to me :) . I've never liked the idea of having loose pieces of glass hanging around the workshop - too much of an accident waiting to happen!

Actually, I find the fettling of planes quite therapeutic - all the repetitive work that converts a wreck into a properly working tool. Most satisfying. My idea of hell would be a L-N plane :shock: :) !

Yours

Gill

GillD":2d2x41b1 said:
My idea of hell would be a L-N plane :shock: :) !
Yours Gill

Tell you what - you get some LN and I'll swop them for some of my old ones that need fettling. :shock: :D

Adam

Back