Steve's workshop - Painting the outside walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
I've finally thrown off the cloak of lethargy and put on the mantle of let's get on with it.

The derelict shack at the bottom of the garden has half the roof it had this morning. I should be able to get the rest off tomorrow, but I am too knackered to do any more today.

I'm going to keep the roof panels for the time being, as I have some stuff to keep sheltered outside, but in the fullness of time I should have some steel roof panels in pretty decent condition up for grabs if anyone is interested.

In the meantime does anyone want a dirty great big RSJ? It's free for the taking. Of course, there is no such thing as a free RSJ, you would have to come and help take it down (I've worked out how that can be done safely - jack up one end, remove a course of block, lower it down. Repeat at the other end and walk it down). The really hard part is getting it to the road. There is no proper vehicular access to the back and the RSJ is big. Really big. I mean, you might think it's a long way down to the shops, but that is nothing compared with the distance from one end of this RSJ to the other.

It measures 7.6m long x 400mm high x 140mm wide. I beam. It's actually two sections plated and welded in the middle. Somebody somewhere must be able to use it. If not I'll have to cut it up (ha-ha) and weigh it in. Must be worth a bob or two in scrap, but it's hassle I do not want.

I'll put an ad in the For Sale forum and start a Build thread when I get some pictures.
S

Edit: Some pics:
P1020520.JPG

P1020521.JPG

Attachments

• P1020520.JPG
    P1020520.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 19,441
  • P1020521.JPG
    P1020521.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 19,438
  • P1020523.JPG
    P1020523.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 19,356
I'd love to, Graham, but it is such a lot of work, and trying to do that while actually building as well, I just don't think I can do it.

Steve Maskery":4770zi9y said:
I'd love to, Graham, but it is such a lot of work, and trying to do that while actually building as well, I just don't think I can do it.
Camera on a tripod tethered to a laptop to give almost unlimited storage. :mrgreen:

Looking good, will be following with interest. :)

Steve good to see you start on your new place
You've got a good camera position high up in the house - could you shoot several stills a day and make a Time-lapse film out of them
Matt

Shrubby":2vzbh4jm said:
Steve good to see you start on your new place
You've got a good camera position high up in the house - could you shoot several stills a day and make a Time-lapse film out of them
Matt

Your new neighbours would love you, good luck with the new build. Did you get the SIP's sorted out.
Good to see the new project underway cheers Peter

Peter Sefton":28uuz708 said:
Did you get the SIP's sorted out.

Ah. The SIPs. Hmm.

The company in Liverpool who quoted me don't want to talk to me. I have no idea why. I have emailed, phone and got an answering machine, phoned and talked to the sales woman. Phoned and talked to the receptionist who told me that said woman was in a meeting but hadn't forgotten me and would ring back. That was 4 weeks ago. They know I have PP and want to order, and yet there is silence.

So I've been to another company, but despite being given the same drawings, their quote is 3x the dozy scouser's (and I'm not tarring all Liverpuddlians with the same brush. I've seen Ken Dodd live).

So I've bought a book about American building techniques and hope to build a New England style 'shop. It will be 4x2's and lots of insulation.

The base is going to be a bit of a problem. I need to centre up the new build and that means extending the existing concrete base. But the bit in front of the double doors slopes up towards the house. I've either got to raise the rest of the base to the highest point (I could use the breeze blocks as infill, I think) or dig up the sloping concrete and re-lay it to match the main area. Any thoughts on that would be welcome.

I did actually get on top of the roof today, but I'm not dead keen on heights anyway and I'm absolutely terrified of falling again. I spent last summer with a knee brace and on crutches. I'm not yet back to where I was 12 months ago and I don't suppose I ever shall be. According to the surgeon I did ten years worth of damage in that one second fall. So whilst I am fine when I'm up there, getting from the ladder onto the flat roof (goodness knows what it will be like with the new one - it's pitched) is very challenging. And kneeling is crippling. Right now this minute my knee is throbbing. So all in all it is not nice.

Frankly this whole project is very, very daunting. I didn't expect to be starting again from scratch at this stage in life. But I have to be positive. I do like my new house (I now have the poshest bathroom on the street), but as you can probably tell from the pics, it's not a very salubrious area. So spending a lot of money on it is a risk. But a man needs a workshop doesn't he?

Thank you all for your encouragement. I do need it and I am very grateful for it. Mind you, I don't think many of you understand how much work is involved in filming.....
:)
S
xxx

Hi Steve ,
I'll ask my mate tomorrow if he wants the RSJ ,and i'll let you know ASAP ....he lives in Kirkby .
If you want any building advice let me know always happy to help, i'm only 10 mins away .

Ps ...The fact that you have a bathroom makes it the poshest on the street after all it is Kirkby , most still have a tin bath hanging on the back of " Coal house " door .

Perhaps instead of a workshop open day, you should have a workshop building day. A gang of us could descend and do a lot of work in a day......

Oh it's on the agenda Nick, it's on the agenda. I've had a few offers of help and I intend to call them all in!
Can I add you to the list?

Steve sorry I'm to far away to help and with my back all I could do would be make the tea! but I wish you all the best and I look forward to a 'tour' of your new workshop on YouTube.

Baldhead

Steve Maskery":1yh3vm23 said:
Oh it's on the agenda Nick, it's on the agenda. I've had a few offers of help and I intend to call them all in!
Can I add you to the list?
Depending on which day it is, I work Saturdays, Mondays and the odd other days.

This morning didn't happen for me, but this afternoon I've removed the rest of the roof and a couple of joists. They are proving quite problematic, they are nailed together with 6" nails. I think I shall have to cut them out. Trouble is, I'd like to reuse the timber, either for concrete shuttering or to make a firewood store.
I used to have a proper crowbar but, well, you know. I think I may have to go shopping tomorrow.
The blocks, on the other hand just fall off. I'm going to have to be careful that the shack doesn't just fall down, it really is very damaged.
P1020524.JPG

S

Attachments

• P1020524.JPG
    P1020524.JPG
    197.5 KB · Views: 4,464
Keep at it Steve you're getting there.
Use your head with that blockwork ](*,) ](*,) :lol:

Nice to see things are moving forward Steve. I have to create a new workshop this year so will be keeping an eye on your progress. Mine will be tiny by comparison to yours though :(

regards

Brian

Back