A simple question ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Thrax

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a picnic bench made of pine which has a central hole which is 50mm in diameter. This is too big for standard parasol poles. I want to make an insert from wood outside diameter of 50mm, central hole of 30mm, the outside diameter of my parasol pole is 28mm so this should be enough so that it is not too tight to fit it. My question is what kind of wood is best to use for the insert. Swelling of the timber is not a problem as the parasol pole will be left in place year round under a cover during Winter/Spring ?

Thanks.

DT

Well you could use anything really! Pine would of course blend with what you've already got, but it doesn't have much durability. As it will be in an area of more wear and tear (i.e. putting the pole in and out) it may be better to use a hardwood that withstands being outside OK such as iroko or teak.

You might consider making a T-shaped insert (cross-section top to bottom) from a piece of hardwood as Aragorn suggests. Suggest a top 'disc' of, say, 100mm diameter x 25mm thick, turned below this to the outside diameter at the 50mm you need to fit your hole, then drill through at the 30mm. This could then be just dropped into the existing hole, supported by the top to prevent it falling through. Alternatively, make the 100mm section thicker, say, 75mm, then insert it from underneath and screw it to the underside of the table top - to provide extra support for the pole. FWIW.

Trev.

Hi Doc,

I would recommend a bit of teak - offcuts are pretty easy to come by because it's used extensively in the trade. Even the 'pine, pine or pine' timber yards usually have a little teak. Iroko or Oak would be equally good. They're all tough, weather resistant and hard on yer tools!
I don't think Pine would stand up to much use, and wouldn't have the structural strength you need at those dimensions.

Hope that helps.
Steve

Back