New Lathe For Wheelchair User

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benwoodham

Reaction score
Hi guys a question you must here all the time but im looking for a good quality wood turning lathe mainly to do bowls and platters i have around £800 maxium budget i have been looking at the record powers and sip's lathes as i have both there brands in other equipment and really rate them.

I have done wood turning before but in the standing position i am now a wheelchair user so i am carefully choosing equipment that can be used from a wheelchair these are the two i am looking at at present any views on these or any others you think i might consider.

SIP
http://www.sipuk.co.uk/woodturning-lath ... lathe.html

RECORD POWER
http://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/pr ... qzXE-KC4aw

any other tips equipment you think may be helpful for a wheelchair user using a lathe would be great too.

At our club we have a Record mounted on a low bench which allows wheelchair users easy access. Sorry I don't have plans or a photo.
I doubt the CL3 mounted on the Record stand will be accessible from your chair.

PS I would go for the variable speed since belt access is from the top and may be inconvenient.

Whichever you choose the VS option sound like a sensible idea.
Have a look at this lathe. It may be out of your suggested price range but I wonder if a similar 'bench' could be made and used universally??

1236sd_400px.gif

Hi

I agree with Nev - the RP stand will probably not allow you to get as close to the lathe as you would wish, far better to mount it on a purpose designed bench.

I think it should be possible to swap the Record Power tailstock camlock handle around so access is from the front - maybe someone who has one could comment.

Regards Mick

Morning all

I think it should be possible to swap the Record Power tailstock camlock handle around so access is from the front - maybe someone who has one could comment.

The handle is only held with a circlip, so it should be possible to turn it round.

Speed control would reduce the need to move belts, which might be a bit awkward.

An outrigger would also be useful.

Have you thought about buying a used one?

Cheers

Dave

yorkshirepudding":3ucmpgwj said:
the CL3 tailstock cam is underneath the tailstock so access should not be a problem.

Hi

All new CL series lathes have had the cam lock system installed for some years now - the access for this is at the back of the tailstock. You are thinking of the previous version, (which I have), where the lever is under the bed bars.

Regards Mick

Have a look at this site http://www.wheelchairwoodturners.org.uk/index.htm there is a lot of info on there and I have been told if you contact them they are very helpful.

Also a name to look up is Tony Wilson woodturner he is disabled and in a wheel chair but makes his living from turning.

His own lathe, which he also takes to demos is a Hegner short bed on a custom made stand so that it is the right height for him in his wheelchair.

john

jpt":37i7hnkt said:
Have a look at this site http://www.wheelchairwoodturners.org.uk/index.htm there is a lot of info on there and I have been told if you contact them they are very helpful.

Also a name to look up is Tony Wilson woodturner he is disabled and in a wheel chair but makes his living from turning.

His own lathe, which he also takes to demos is a Hegner short bed on a custom made stand so that it is the right height for him in his wheelchair.

john

Cheers john,

That site is very helpfull i am now looking at the CL4-CAM as the variable speed without the hasle of moving belts and not being able to see.

all my equipment and work benches i have custom made and are mounted on castors or have drop castors so they can be moved so i would make my own stand anyway

I wish you all the success with your turning and please pictures of your solution with the lathe. I am considering the same as I have a prosthetic leg and my balance is not that good. A P.I.T.A at 65 but it will not stop me turning.

Latest posts

Back