Chisel hammer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the risk of sounding like a cheapskate, how useful / effective do people find chisel hammers such as the ones quoted?

I'm not a pure utilitarian (as I have a set of LN chisels and some other "luxury" type tools), but I had thought of getting a chisel hammer and then I talked myself out of it.
The current plan is to fashion a chisel hammer using the head of an old small metal working hammer but with a considerably shortened shaft but am I missing something here?

Glynne

Glynne, I'm glad you asked, as I was thinking the same thing. I do have wooden mallets in various sizes and have never seen the need for a little brass hammer like this. Is it for carving?

Thanks for the reply guys.

I did have a look at what Veritas have to offer but i prefer something more like this

http://www.workshopheaven.com/tools/Qua ... _500g.html

looking for something more Hammer like than Mallet like.

Not sure if many companies make them but i have seen plenty of people make them and some look absolutly amazing, unfortunately i dont have any metal working equipment.

I was thinking of one of Matthews from Workshop Heaven (as per the link above) for use with fine dovetails rather than carving - and there is a carriage free offer at the moment (until 22nd).
I did watch David Barron use one at the European Show but as he sells them, I suspect he would say they were necessary rather than a nice to have.
You can obviously get away with normal mallets, carving mallets etc. but I just wondered whether people thought they were worthwhile?

Glynne

Glynne

I personally prefer a small brass hammer to a wooden mallet. I've recently moved and during the moving process have miss placed my hammer. So now im on the look out as the guy who made mine can no longer make tools.

I seen to many split chisels to even think about using a hammer, unless they are hooped ones.
I use one of these

Pete

Glynne":3qrqbxah said:
At the risk of sounding like a cheapskate, how useful / effective do people find chisel hammers such as the ones quoted?

I'm not a pure utilitarian (as I have a set of LN chisels and some other "luxury" type tools), but I had thought of getting a chisel hammer and then I talked myself out of it.
The current plan is to fashion a chisel hammer using the head of an old small metal working hammer but with a considerably shortened shaft but am I missing something here?

Glynne

I use exactly that. A heavy ball pane hammer head with a 4" handle. Perfect. Needs only a tiny tap with all that mass giving lots of control.

Here ya go. Cost pennies works perfectly.

A.jpg

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 2,526
I love it when posts are deleted so the rest of the thread doesn't make sense :cool:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Like David C I use a 375g Japanese hammer, it's got a lovely balance and feel for tippy tapping, for a bit more persuasion I've got a 20 ounce (don't you love mixed units...) green urethane headed mallet, which I bought in the US but are available here from http://www.classichandtools.com/acatalog/Mallets.html which has the traditional carver's form, this is lovely to use and gives a really positive connection with the chisel, if I need more than that I switch to my Bahco chisels and beat on them with whatever comes to hand...

David C":3huirnec said:
Why Brass?

I use a very reasonable, 375g, barrel shaped Japanese hammer from Dictum.

David Charlesworth

Hi David

It doesnt have to be brass its just my previous, and many others i've seen have only been made in brass.

Im not a fan of the longer handled variety, i find i have better control with a short stumpy hammer.

I use David's approach with the Japanese hammer, yes it's got a full sized handle but with the barrel shaped head you can choke right up to it, or even just grip the head for tiny tippy taps, I've certainly never felt the full size handle to be an encumbrance. Each to their own, try a few and see what works best for your situation.

Kev

Grayorm":2xyw75bn said:
Rod, did you know that there's a village near Bolton called Blackrod?

Grayorm, No i didn't know that.
My nickname came from BLACKROD beating the door and demanding entrance at the opening of parliament each year!
Regards Rodders

Back