SS GIFT VIEWING

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waka":ryfn5l8b said:
Please post your SS Gift here for all to see, this is an important part of the process.

Well here's mine. Couldn't wait for morning - but did wait for Christmas Day! (The first gift I opened!)

I am so very pleased to receive this beautifully crafted and finished hex screwdriver and bits - bubinga (?) from Tony (Escudo).
This will be a real 'user' and will see lots of service in the workshop. It fits my hand perfectly.

Many thanks to Tony, a very thoughtful gift.

SSgift.jpg

Attachments

• SSgift.jpg
    SSgift.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 5,428
Happy Christmas Chaps

Look what I got
DSC_0341.jpg

A very nice pen, its feels nice and weighty, thank you seceret santa its a cracking gift.

Pete

mine is a wonderful turned carvers mallet- ideal because i have just started to buy a few carving tools and have nothing to hit them with.

head is lignum vitae and has wonderful creamy grain. The handle, i am not so sure on- could be ash, but there is a little bit of ray going through where it is quarter sawn- i have not seen this on ash before. lovely contrasting timber.

the maker remains a mystery, but whoever it is I am extremely grateful. goes without saying that it is almost too nice to use, but it will be used with pleasure.

Mark

Attachments

• secret santa.jpeg
    secret santa.jpeg
    132.5 KB · Views: 5,341
I am truly stunned - opened this morning from Racers - a stunning 5/8" fishtail chisel, marking knife and dovetail marker. Thank you sooo much I will yreasure them. Big hurdle to use them the first time as they are so nice
Thanks again Pete :)
Mark

Since I'm working all day today, I was only allowed to bring my secret santa with me to open...the rest are for later.

2012-12-25%252011.25.37.jpg

What a fantastic surprise then to get this wonderful collection covering a large part of the serious woodturner's craft.

Firstly a superb screwdriver set..which will now take over from the mixed bag of turnscrews I tend to have randomly scattered in the darker parts of the cave!

Secondly a really dinky little sharpening steel...just perfect for a touch-up on the go.

And last but not least...a beautifully turned trinket dish but one with a difference. This one has a rare-earth magnet in the base so I can use this on both my mill and lathe...spot on for small parts I use when working in this area...and will replace the many Flora tubs I seem to have lying about and often knock over.... :oops:

Part of the fun of the SS for me is the guessing who sent mine and this year was much more difficult...as they seem to have removed franking stamps from parcels! But a little bit of Sherlock and a sprinkling of Watson leads me to believe it was Simon!

Dear SS...if I'm wrong tell me!!! :deer

But whoever it was...your presents were spot on... and I am well chuffed! Thank you! 8)

Jim

Holy Cow! I am so pleased with the gift I received.
I got a lovely card from my SS wishing me well in both my kitchen and tool making ventures, and opened the wrapping on the present to find this truly remarkable punch with which to mark my work.
This is without doubt one of the most thoughtful gifts I have received. Ever.
punch_zpsa06d9b26.jpg

Thank you so much SS (please stand up and take a bow). If you don't want to reveal yourself on here, please PM me so I can say thank you properly.

It will be a treasured addition to my kit, and will help to push me forward with the business.

Thank you once again, and I have to say a big thank you to Waka for organising this again this year.

All the best, and Merry Christmas one and all.

Adam.

Well, I'm extremely chuffed! Whoever sent my SS pressie has been paying attention on here and has been very generous indeed!

Back in July, there was a bit of discussion about an ingenious vice that Richard Arnold was using. It was identified as a 'Parrot Vice,' much favoured by carvers, guitar makers and anyone wanting a really flexible way of holding a workpiece. I'd said I was going to buy one but I haven't yet and now I don't need to as one has arrived in the post!!

It comes in a very heavy box and consists of two parts - a post which screws to the bench and a clamping part:

IMG_1622.jpg

The clamp can be fitted on vertically like this

IMG_1624.jpg

and also horizontally like this:

IMG_1626.jpg

In use, you just clamp up the workpiece and this also tightens a cam onto the post, locking the whole thing up. Thus you can hold things at any angle:

IMG_1623.jpg

IMG_1628.jpg

I couldn't resist screwing it onto the bench to pose for these pictures, holding an offcut from my step chair project. One of my first projects in the new year will be an upgrade to my old chipboard bench, which was built as a quickie from scrap over 20 years ago; I will now be able to incorporate the parrot into the redesign.

And, as if that wasn't generous enough already, the box also contained a nice old brace, ready for re-use alongside some of its cousins:

IMG_1627.jpg

So, many many thanks to my generous secret Santa - there was a big clue to your identity on the mailing label, so please take a bow JamesC!!

I just opened my gift and was truly staggered by the beautiful box I received! As decribed by tony the box is made from Masaranduba, with the trays made from ash. The veneer on top is ash, Eucalyptus burr, maple and black dyed sycamore. I don't think the pictures do it justice at all

ejzibk.jpg

Push fit compartments inside

2qjzj8g.jpg

zmjitd.jpg

A picture of the inlay:

2u46frp.jpg

All I can say is a big thank you to Andy, what a beautiful gift and for your generosity

Have a good Christmas everyone

John

Many thanks to my Secret Santa for the lovely (and very useful!) Stanley no 9 1/2 plane.

blockplane.jpg

Attachments

• blockplane.jpg
    blockplane.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 5,157
Merry Christmas forum friends.

Thanks Secret Santa for your very useful and interesting gift. A moisture meter.

8307287471_7f9f145c17.jpg

I must confess that I have not used one of these gadgets before, although I'm sure it will be handy. I will have to do a bit of detective work to find my Santa, the post mark on the package should provide a clue.

I am pleased you liked your screwdriver Liam, made from a small piece of Bubinga. I will give you a shout for a pint when I next find my way down to Swanage, maybe in the summer. An afternoon at the Square and Compass would be something to look forward to.

Best wishes to all, and thanks Tony for your efforts in organising this worthwhile and exciting event.

Tony.

Thanks for posting your SS Gifts, the standard of work this year is absolutely outstanding, and the presents that have been bought are really good.

This is what the forum is all about, great friends, great knowledge and great SS Gifts. When I see this it really makes the organising worthwhile.

Thanks Guys and Girls.

Oh I'm still monitoring to see if you've posted.

well I was completely blown away by my present, and took an extra moment to photograph and share the workmanship

ss4.jpg

ss1.jpg

ss2.jpg

ss3.jpg

not only this but how anyone could know how much I needed these specific tools beats me - I know a pencils not accurate enough, but just kept sharpening and sharpening.....

so, thank you Santa - an please feel free to take a bow for your stunning work =D>

Attachments

• ss4.jpg
    ss4.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 4,878
  • ss1.jpg
    ss1.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 4,878
  • ss2.jpg
    ss2.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 4,878
  • ss3.jpg
    ss3.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 4,878
I've been lurking on here a little while checking out what everyone has been receiving. I have decided to show my generous SS gift through iPhoneography having recently learnt how to take decent photos, edit them and upload them all from my phone.

photo (2).jpg

I hope these pictures do justice to an excellently made screwdriver set which I have already put to use. The box that stores the insert bits is exceptionally well made and has two tiny magnets in the lid to lock everything in place.

photo (3).jpg

I am well chuffed! :D :D :D

I now need to hone my skills so I can make something next year.

Attachments

• photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 4,821
  • photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 4,821
Aces and Eights":11gjks5u said:
Thank you so much SS (please stand up and take a bow). If you don't want to reveal yourself on here, please PM me so I can say thank you properly.

I thought SS was supposed to be secret but it seems everyone else knows who sent what so I may as well own up. I must confess that I didn't make it though, that credit belongs to Iain at http://www.spanglefish.com/metalstamps/index.asp . Faced with the challenge of making a tool for someone who is making a living from making tools I folded and resorted to buying.

Anyway, here's mine.
Thanks to speeder1987 for a rather nice scrub plane. I'll post up some action photos as soon as the inlaws clear off. I've got a pile of rough timber that I've been saving for such a tool.

Happy New Year

Attachments

• 8313264883_8b9e6abe67.jpg
    8313264883_8b9e6abe67.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 4,609
  • 8313264925_b12dfda54a.jpg
    8313264925_b12dfda54a.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 4,609
Here is my present,

A lovely turned mallet, I am just starting to get into carving (my wife gave me some carving chisels) how did you know SS?

Thank you also for the lovely card it was so thoughtful.

DSCN1120 by Jmaes-C, on Flickr

One very Happy Jamesc

hi guys, must apologise for me delay in posting, and plumbing disaster on Christmas day and other problems and kept me very busy. Onwards...

well I was gob smacked to receive this beautiful plane.

IMG_6163_zpsfebd2387.jpg

it is in amazing condition considering it is probably 200 years old, I'm unaware of this maker could someone check in British plane makers for some more info? :---) :mrgreen:

IMG_6164_zpsa502792b.jpg

I'm not sure what the timber is but the grain is stunning!

IMG_6168_zps91657c15.jpg

with a boxwood mouth piece

IMG_6165_zpsf66199e8.jpg

the work that has gone into this is immense

IMG_6172_zps5b2184b4.jpg

a nice antique iron!

IMG_6171_zpsb765c995.jpg

the sole

IMG_6173_zpsb6d615b2.jpg

to say i was pleased is an understatement i think for once my face really did look like this! :mrgreen:

thank you very much Richard i will treasure this!

a very pleased adidat!

lovely grain on that plane adidat. looks similar to a piece of qs elm that i used recently, although i would have thought (in my limited experience) that was a strange choice of timber for a plane.

SS have really produced/sourced some amazing gifted, keep it up folks, there are still some that haven't posted.

Remember I'm watching and recording.

Sorry for the late posting. I've hardly been home over christmas and then I had some orders to do.

Pete - I'm really pleased you liked your pen.

Thank you to Adam for the lovely gift and card I received. My santa had done his research and gave me a book on making all sorts of different types of dolls houses and also a handmade marking gauge which is a much better design than the standard ones and I know I'll get lots of use from it. Is the wood zebrano? It's got lovely markings though I don't think it's showed up that well in the photos.

They are both lovely gifts and I really appreciate them so thank you Adam.

Attachments

• Book.JPG
    Book.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 2,089
  • Top.JPG
    Top.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 2,089
  • Underside.JPG
    Underside.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 2,089
  • End.JPG
    End.JPG