The Turning Quest 2012

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice Chasney :D
I can see a green tinge to the lid on this one.?
Any chance of doing one with the beads all the way down,i think it might look good with the Oak broken up by them??

A little smaller & a bit better balance on base to top detail,
Wood type swap around gives a quieter presentation I think.
DSCN3335.JPG
DSCN3336.JPG

Walnut & Oak, 110mm dia.

Attachments

• DSCN3335.JPG
    DSCN3335.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 1,129
  • DSCN3336.JPG
    DSCN3336.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 1,129
CHJ":22qcjl1n said:
A little smaller & a bit better balance on base to top detail,
Wood type swap around gives a quieter presentation I think.

Walnut & Oak, 110mm dia.

Its more obvious where the lid is but I agree that the balance is nicer now. Wouldn't say no to any of them though :D

Managed an hour in the shed this morning , house guests having gone on yet another tourist trip around Wiltshire, so did not have to have my sociability hat on.

Another little "thank you" for a wood donator.
Walnut & Oak.

DSCN3544.JPG
DSCN3545.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN3544.JPG
    DSCN3544.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,097
  • DSCN3545.JPG
    DSCN3545.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,097
Back to basics for the next few days, having to clear out some old oddments of the hoard to meet a request.
DSCN3572.JPG

Beech, spalted and otherwise, both 120mm dia.

Attachments

• DSCN3572.JPG
    DSCN3572.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 1,054
Nowt wrong with the basics apparently.

I wish I had some beech, seems rare round here. The few bits I've had were lovely to turn and finish.

I haven't seen the inside of my workshop for weeks, ever since the goblet hell bit. Hopefully, the last bedroom will be finished next week and I can make stuff round again.

Another couple of basics, still they at least have forced some sorting through of all those 'might be usable' bits.
DSCN3573.JPG
DSCN3574.JPG

Spalted Beech, 147mm dia.
DSCN3575.JPG
DSCN3576.JPG

Ash, 144mm dia.

Attachments

• DSCN3573.JPG
    DSCN3573.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 1,010
  • DSCN3574.JPG
    DSCN3574.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 1,010
  • DSCN3575.JPG
    DSCN3575.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 1,010
  • DSCN3576.JPG
    DSCN3576.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 1,010
Thanks Rich, have a mound of segmented stuff in prep. but a request for some more basics has got me digging in the depths of the wood shed for any remains of the persons supplied wood that is dry enough. Those are my only remit, must be their wood and simple 'user' forms.
So I'm letting the oddments of wood dictate what has been hiding in there for the last three years or so.
Still not enough hours in the day so I guess all is well on the personal front thanks.

Well, recipient wants them warts and all, good job else this one would have been in the bin more than once, not the most enjoyable couple of hours in the shed trying to cope with the split personality of the blank.
DSCN3577.JPG
DSCN3578.JPG
DSCN3579.JPG

Yew 210mm dia.

Attachments

• DSCN3577.JPG
    DSCN3577.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 954
  • DSCN3578.JPG
    DSCN3578.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 954
  • DSCN3579.JPG
    DSCN3579.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 954
I think showing stuff like this should be banned. It makes me want to get on with clearing space for a lathe and I have to many other things to do.

Now here's an example of the perverse nature of a lump of wood, admittedly usually only seen by turners.
This piece and the previous bowl are from the same log, and serves as an example of the problems discussed in this earlier thread.
Log was sawn down the middle and the two halves stored adjacent to each other with the sawn faces about 1cm apart, some 2+ years.

The previous piece had bark falling off over 3/4 of its periphery when taken off the shelf, this piece needed only one piece about 4mm long near a split bonding to the edge.
DSCN3580.JPG
DSCN3581.JPG

Yew 230mm dia.

Attachments

• DSCN3580.JPG
    DSCN3580.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 919
  • DSCN3581.JPG
    DSCN3581.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 919
It must be good to get back on the solid wood after all the segmented work Chas, you have more patience than me.

As usual lovely work, with the natural edge Yew a real winner for me =D>

Cheers.

Doug B":37r85e17 said:
It must be good to get back on the solid wood after all the segmented work Chas, you have more patience than me.

Mixed feelings about the the difference between the two disciplines Doug, the segmented stuff takes longer overall but gives some satisfaction at achieving the accuracy of cutting and as they are assembled in stages each process is short and can be fitted in in short bursts of time. The bulk of waste generation and management being at the saw and firewood bin stage.

The 'Solid' stuff has the vagaries of the home dried wood to contend with and they don't always show until you have spent an hour or so in prep and roughing.
Further to that with something like the natural edge they have to be done all in one go so to speak because of movement and can entail 2-3 hrs continuous turning without a significant break so are a bit of a chore, so is the clearing up of the mound of shavings at the end of the session.

Guess it all boils down to what mood I'm in as to which I enjoy the most, maybe it's even something different like the brief vision of a little space I occasionally manage to make on a drying shelf.

Back to glueing up the bits again, but somewhat simpler finish after a request for one with a plain lid.
DSCN3587.JPG

Walnut & Oak 110mm diam.
DSCN3588.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN3587.JPG
    DSCN3587.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 875
  • DSCN3588.JPG
    DSCN3588.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 875
Came across this specimen of Sweet Chestnut a couple of days ago, could not help projecting a fair amount of envy toward some future woodworker who might get his hands on those Burrs when it's finally harvested.
DSCN3586.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN3586.JPG
    DSCN3586.JPG
    276 KB · Views: 874
Like the coloration and figuring on the walnut Chas, nice and soft and understated as a piece, in a good way !

Likewise on the sweet chestnut tree, glad I'm not the only one that goes around sizing up the potential of good looking trees :lol:

Cheers, Paul

Finished gathering another collection of bits into another trinket/dust* collector today.
(*dependant upon your take of round spinny creations)
DSCN3589.JPG
DSCN3591.JPG

Walnut & Oak 115mm dia.

Attachments

• DSCN3589.JPG
    DSCN3589.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 821
  • DSCN3591.JPG
    DSCN3591.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 821
Back