Good web sites from inspiring makers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CHJ":130fvayv said:
Chris, might I suggest the Opening Post is edited to contain a list of the better sites;

I.E.

C.H. Becksvoort Maybe with a qualifying comment on the link line.
Jonathan Pearce Fine Furniture
Oryx Design
Richard Williams
Cadman Furniture
Michael Cooper
Waywood Furniture
Robert Ingham
Devon Furniture Makers
Chas - I was about to suggest something similar. What's needed IMO is a reference list of good sites and not an in depth assessment of the positive or negative qualities of any one in particular - Rob

woodbloke":1h0aeeby said:
.What's needed IMO is a reference list of good sites and not an in depth assessment of the positive or negative qualities of any one in particular - Rob

That's why I suggested just a qualifying byline if felt necessary.

Like:
Site needs flash,
Site links on here are worth a trawl.
Good content, shame about the presentation.

The problem is all reference lists like this take up quite a bit of time to monitor and update.
I know those on the Turning forum do anyway.

Rob, you are correct but like Chas says it takes a good deal of effort to maintain - I had no time to do the comments hence my "ignoring" Chas's suggestion.

waterhead37":145rh7wl said:
Rob, you are correct but like Chas says it takes a good deal of effort to maintain - I had no time to do the comments hence my "ignoring" Chas's suggestion.
Your effort is much appreciated as I think it will be a valuable resource on the forum - Rob

One of the restrictions of the forum software we use is that the HTML that can be used in posts is very limited. This has the effect of making it very difficult to create tabulations of data.

Many of the things we should like to do such as listing designer makers for example are best done in the form of a table. To get around the limitation I have mentioned above, I have sown the seeds of an experiment. The link below will take you to a Google documents spreadsheet. As I have set it up, the spreadsheet can be edited by anybody -- in the spirit of the original Wikipedia.

You are all invited to edit it as you see fit. The idea is that peer pressure results in the winnowing of poor material. Probably, like Wikipedia, we shall find this doesn't work too well and that other restraints need to be applied.

I am unfamiliar with Google documents, at least their usage but rather than spend an age studying, I thought it might be informative to jump in with both feet and try it out. So here is your starter for 10.

Please edit the document as you see fit -- but try to be sensible and stay within the forum rules. If it all goes pear shaped we shall have to try another tack.

http://tinyurl.com/ylxa2wm

At present, it looks like this

690633800_UkWkc-L.jpg

yes I like it Chris and, tho it's a little slow to load, the zoom feature seems to work well. I'm not sure, for prospective clients, that close up of the entirety of each piece of furniture is absolutely necessary. The one with 3 close up shots of each piece is a nice touch, IMO.

If you need help administering this, I am happy to help in a couple of weeks when I'm in recovery mode.

BSM, thanks I need help as you may have noticed - I am a woodworker not a web designer, since it went live I have had a seriously sick pc and the lap top was playing up.
Now both are back from the pc hospital, I hope to re vamp it.

BUT ! I need assistence, anyone care to help out?

hs , busy re vamping 4 old church pews :? :)

This is a new website of a German manufacturer http://www.go-in.co.uk providing a wide range of modern hotel and restaurant furniture in contemporary but also traditional design, such as Lloyd Loom . Thanks to its versatility, the site offers genuinely good incentives for designing your own creative pieces of furniture.

Regards
AK

Hi

I would suggest going to the DMOU http://www.designermakers.org.uk/MemberProfiles.html . This is a site run by makers, to get on the list the work of a maker has to be accepted by the other makers, so the standard of work is high. Possibly a long list like this is not as useful as specific recommendation, but it may help to find a maker you have heard of.

The NCFM http://www.northernfurniture.org.uk/ is a similar site but limited to the north of England.

Chris

houtslager":19t5uxp3 said:
some nice and not so nice ones there, could I be cheeky and ask -
"what the viewers' think " of my own site
http://www.thewoodbutcher.eu
Oh dear, I rather hate it!! I found it so frustrating, I didn't get to see your work.

Apart from the fact it doesn't draw properly (on my Mac at least) it take a bit of figuring out how to navigate it. I am with those who think that a site should be completely transparent in how it operates. Clear navigation being the number one priority.

Any devices that get in the way of that just annoy me so much that I leave the site as quickly as I found it. My site was designed and originally run by a professional but I copied all the layouts when I took it over. Even that annoys me sometimes by the way it loads - but that's the price I pay for doing it with a simple to use program for dummies.

gus3049":2mkvfgz4 said:
houtslager":2mkvfgz4 said:
some nice and not so nice ones there, could I be cheeky and ask -
"what the viewers' think " of my own site
http://www.thewoodbutcher.eu
Oh dear, I rather hate it!! I found it so frustrating, I didn't get to see your work.

Apart from the fact it doesn't draw properly (on my Mac at least) it take a bit of figuring out how to navigate it. I am with those who think that a site should be completely transparent in how it operates. Clear navigation being the number one priority.
The site doesn't scale very well does it?
gus3049":2mkvfgz4 said:
Any devices that get in the way of that just annoy me so much that I leave the site as quickly as I found it. My site was designed and originally run by a professional but I copied all the layouts when I took it over. Even that annoys me sometimes by the way it loads - but that's the price I pay for doing it with a simple to use program for dummies.
Nothing wrong with iWeb I use it for my photo section. The rest of my site at home was made with other SW but for publishing pictures iWeb gets it done fast. At the moment I have 6.5 GB of pics and rising
The wood stuff is at My home site and uses the same colour scheme as yours

could i add one into to the mix, saw these guys at royal cornwall show and had a quick chat with them. rozenfurniture.com
i have no affiliation with this company just thought their work was brilliant.

Was really enjoying having a look at the suggested web sites and thought it could prove very useful as a "reference tool".
In the posts there was mention of a google sites spreadsheet containing links to all these makers/ designers web sites but I do not seem to be able to access it - I get a message that the document no longer exists. Am I doing something wrong or is this spreadsheet somewhere else?

Thanks.

I like a lot of these sites but it's like Matt says, there are specific clienteles you have to take on board. The furniture I create are specifically for Parish councils and Church yards etc and so clear traditional is what works for me.

Back