The Turning Quest 2012

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are worse than me for hoarding then using offcuts and scraps Chas LOL, must admit you have a lot more patience than me with the work you produce not to say your lovely finishing.

Pete

Just can't justify letting the bits go to a wood burner without at least salvaging some of it Pete.

Must admit playing with furniture grade wood*, all be it the reject bits, is a lot easier on the frustration stakes than struggling to tame a bit of over punky local wood.
Although I am sorting through the local stuff to try and get some feature wood to offset the blandness of the off-cut bits for future pieces.

* quite interesting how even furniture grade wood that is often too low in moisture for me to measure moves around enough to spoil the angles on small pieces. Pays to prepare stock and leave to acclimatise a few days before final cuts with some of it. Likewise the top rings of the boxes often move out of round enough to warrant a few days rest before making the lids, but there again single piece lids move out of round after a few hours, all adds variety to the amusement stakes.

I use a lot of the furniture grade wood and like you find that it is so dry it soaks up moisture from the atmosphere. I have a couple of pieces I did in rosewood and oak and they have moved at different rates. Smooth as a babies bottom when finished but now you can feel the join LOL. Using punky, almost falling apart wood is fun but you have to accept that sometimes you will end up with firewood whether you like it or not. Got a load of dogwood drying at the moment, be interesting to see how that works out as it looks good raw.

Pete

Turned out wet again this morning, time for more shop twiddling.

Walnut & Beech 90mm dia.
DSCN3307.JPG

Walnut & Ash 95mm dia.
DSCN3308.JPG

Walnut & Beech 93mm dia.
DSCN3309.JPG

Walnut & Ash 96mm dia.
DSCN3310.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN3307.JPG
    DSCN3307.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 758
  • DSCN3308.JPG
    DSCN3308.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 757
  • DSCN3309.JPG
    DSCN3309.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 758
  • DSCN3310.JPG
    DSCN3310.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 758
Got the assembly routine sorted apart from the support feet positioning, need to make a decision on their positioning and simplify the drilling involved.
DSCN3315.JPG
DSCN3316.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN3315.JPG
    DSCN3315.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 722
  • DSCN3316.JPG
    DSCN3316.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 723
I would love that on my desk, but I think I would end up spending too much time looking into it. It really is compelling and a lovely piece.

Regards

Sorted the foot problem, no more measuring and messing with feet to fit individual pieces.
DSCN3317.JPG
DSCN3318.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN3317.JPG
    DSCN3317.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 1,107
  • DSCN3318.JPG
    DSCN3318.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,107
Been pottering again today.
DSCN3320.JPG
DSCN3321.JPG
DSCN3322.JPG

Walnut and Oak 130mm dia.

Attachments

• DSCN3320.JPG
    DSCN3320.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 1,080
  • DSCN3321.JPG
    DSCN3321.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 1,081
  • DSCN3322.JPG
    DSCN3322.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 1,081
Paul.J":3hiziw1n said:
Now i like that one Chas =D> =D>
Edit-: and the newly designed pen holder,i can't keep up with you :lol:

Well you have an input to both Paul, :lol: it's your old Rexon Chop saw that is cutting the bits up.
Just wish it had a brake and an induction motor, still gives me the hebie gebies when I first fire it up.

Been looking for a replacement I could justify spending the pocket money on for a quieter life but no luck so far, don't need the capacity just the ability to set and hold the accuracy.

Good to hear its still going strong Chas,it was a good little saw,but as you say a little too noisey.
Have you changed the blade to a finer cut one since you have had it??

That's a bit special Chas, nicely balanced piece and lots of interesting and well executed detail, but also looking great as a whole, like that a lot :)

Cheers, Paul

CHJ":k5afsygg said:
Been pottering again today.
Walnut and Oak
Ah, I like this one. Of all the pieces you have made from these millions of offcuts you are trying to clear ( :wink: ) this is the one that works best for me, really nice box. Love the way you have hidden where the lid is. One idea ripe for nicking - ta!

Really like that Chas.

I`m not a big fan of segmented work, but that is top drawer, especially the wood in the center of the lid that makes the cube look 3D =D>

Cheers.

Paul.J":2od6mis3 said:
......Have you changed the blade to a finer cut one since you have had it??
Yes Paul, not much finer but a sharper one from Axi soon after I had it. Blade does not do much work but the motor gets a start -stop hammering.
gus3049":2od6mis3 said:
....... Love the way you have hidden where the lid is. One idea ripe for nicking - ta!
The lid idea came about during the putting together Gordon, mainly as a method of reducing the bittiness of too many different pieces and shades of wood.
Doug B":2od6mis3 said:
...I`m not a big fan of segmented work, ....
Strangely enough neither am I Doug, although I appreciate the skill involved in producing intricate small parts accurately enough for some of the more exotic designs they often smack of "look what I can do" to me, and that's not just sour grapes because I don't have the skill, patience or equipment to do them.
And that's a driving aim whilst I'm playing with these bits, to try and put something together that's decorative without going over the top in my eyes, others of course may see no difference.

CHJ":14j6eosb said:
And that's a driving aim whilst I'm playing with these bits, to try and put something together that's decorative without going over the top in my eyes, others of course may see no difference.

Absolutely, there is so much work that seems to be because they can rather than making something beautiful, balanced and artistic (better not get into dovetail guitars here :D ) As is so often the case, less is more I reckon (says he who is into piercing, texturing etc)

Something similar, just to prove the first one was not a fluke. :)

Might know someone wanted "one like that" just to put me on the spot.
DSCN3326.JPG
DSCN3327.JPG

Walnut & Oak 125mm dia.

Attachments

• DSCN3326.JPG
    DSCN3326.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 1,011
  • DSCN3327.JPG
    DSCN3327.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 1,010
CHJ":3dnn5czn said:
Something similar, just to prove the first one was not a fluke. :)

Might know someone wanted "one like that" just to put me on the spot.

Walnut & Oak 125mm dia.

Nice again Chas but for me, the joy of the first one was that the split for the lid wasn't obvious, The change of colour for this one rather spoils the illusion. Is that green natural??

Gordon, the colours are natural, no sign of green in natural light.
The shade difference is not so obvious either, but the contrast does change considerably dependant upon whether the top section is viewed end or side grain and the lid segments aligned or not,
The Brown can change between café au lait and Cafétière dependant on light/viewing direction.

CHJ":nlv1z2jt said:
Gordon, the colours are natural, no sign of green in natural light.
The shade difference is not so obvious either, but the contrast does change considerably dependant upon whether the top section is viewed end or side grain and the lid segments aligned or not,
The Brown can change between café au lait and Cafétière dependant on light/viewing direction.

Ain't wood grand??

Back