Liogier Hand Stiched Rasp - Pass Around

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The one on the pass-around costs about 40Euros plus tax - have a look at Liogiers web site.
They really are a revelation, they cut so fast that I tend to use the finer grades which do leave an incredible finish (I have a 12, 13 & 15).

Rod

Due to the Pass-Around "misadventure" and so as not to keep the folks, who have already placed orders waiting too long for their goods, the Forum Discount code will be removed from Liogier's site this coming Monday 23 January.
So if anybody is still interested in the offer, this weekend is your last chance?

Rod

condeesteso":o7a2km1k said:
........... And he's allowed to work in the kitchen :)

I simply love the furtive glances to see if Mme. Grangeon has come home from shopping yet! :mrgreen:

This type of video is priceless in the ability to show the versatility of the rasp...and also the craftsman using it.

Thanks for posting mate.

Jim

I have recently been using my Liogier rasps more often, and they are becoming regulars (as often as some chisels etc).
I wanted a pair of pulls for a box insert, and the shape is inspired by some bull-horn lugs on early 50s watches (Breitling, and IWC). The materials are ebony over maple intentionally quite deco.
The rasps are so fast at forming the overall shape, and give a great sense of control. In particular the very fine point / tip allows access into tight angles, the teeth on the edge also helps form acute angles, and by backing off pressure the finish is remarkable.
bo1.jpg

bo2.jpg

bo3.jpg

I still need to do final smoothing, but the shape is what I wanted.

I find it really refreshing to get away from straight lines and think in forms instead. Wonderful rasps indeed.

So that's my rasp 'show'n'tell'. When I had the pass round I hardly dare use it, so here's my belated test. Result - very impressed indeed.

Any other rasp work to show, anyone?

Attachments

• bo1.jpg
    bo1.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,200
  • bo2.jpg
    bo2.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,200
  • bo3.jpg
    bo3.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 1,200
They look nice, Douglas.

condeesteso":106aimmg said:
Any other rasp work to show, anyone?

The first thing I made using rasps was a replacement walking stick handle for my Mother-in-law. Unfortunately at that time I didn't know about hand-stiched rasps and used cheapo, machine-made ones, which were not nice at all. This was also in Ebony. The original handle was badly split and had previously had some very botched repairs so a replacement was the only option

Walkingstick3.jpg

I did the initial shaping with rasps

Walkingstick14.jpg

and the more detailed work with a card scraper

Walkingstick13.jpg

Here's the finished result (which was later polished)

Walkingstick16.jpg

I now use hand-stiched rasps, which work much better.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Excellent Paul, not a straight edge anywhere... makes a change doesn't it?!
I too follow up with a scraper (except on the really small bits) - I find them very good at following and also tuning curves, brilliant little edge tools indeed.
I need to try something bigger very soon and was thinking of some burr or similar, as rasps don't really care about grain direction (far as I can tell). Maybe combine some curved components into a larger piece. I also just got a Myford ML7 so I can attempt brass components etc (finials etc) - I could end up with one big mess of ideas! (Must remind myself about less being more and purity in design and all that.)

Excellent slide show. In particular I noted the use of files to follow rasps in certain stages. I have used files on ebony before with great success, can't see any reason why not.
Very nice handle, and surely a very fine saw too.

Back