Honest opinions sought.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was asked to make a base for a trophy by my local club. Looking for some honest opinions on what i have come up with. I think personally for myself the hardest part of woodworking is the design process. It took me a day to make and a week to design.

Thanks Simon

Trophy.gif

Simon,

Erh, are you a bit shy about this? 8-[
If you want an opinion of what your made a picture would be good. #-o
I think that you have posted a link to where you FTPed the file to, we need the HTTP address of it for it to showup on the forum. :shock:

Well done Simon, I can know see the picture. :D

Well the base you made is quite nice. The trophy is balanced by the size of the chest you have mounted it on. How big is it, I cannot judge the size from the picture? That looks like ash for the frame, what is the panel ?

Yep dave used american white ash for the frame . The panels are veneered with birds eye maple, that in hindsight i think was a mistake because the piece is quite chunky were as the maple detail is small . Had no choice about size of base as the trophy was given to me to mount. Not sure the maple was the right combination with the ash, because the maple does not really stand out as i wanted it to.
The size of the base is H220mm x w200mm x L320mm.

Simon

Simon,
I can't help thinking that the base is a little too tall for the trophy. It appears to be about 3/4s a tall as the trophy (what is it by the way?). A big base would be fine if there were to be a long inscription but as it is it looks a little bare to me.

andy

I'll add to the confusion with my opinion :) .

I agree with Andy that the plinth is a little too tall. I like the overall design but if woods with lots of 'character' are used you'll distract viewers' eyes from the actual trophy itself. I'd suggest using woods which have fewer features, such as lime and/or mahogany.

Gill

I think the maple looks good - nice & delicate figuring to go with the carving of the statue - the graining in the ash for the rails & stile looks way too strong & coarse though & the off-parallel lining makes it look a little non-square, in the photo at least. Something with more delicate less-contrasting grain might stop the eye straying from the status to the stiles. Nice piece all the same.

Richard

tibbs":1ey34kgg said:
I think the maple looks good - nice & delicate figuring to go with the carving of the statue - the graining in the ash for the rails & stile looks way too strong & coarse though & the off-parallel lining makes it look a little non-square, in the photo at least. Something with more delicate less-contrasting grain might stop the eye straying from the status to the stiles. Nice piece all the same.
Wot Richard said. I rather like the height; makes it look like a proper plinth for a statue.

Cheers, Alf

WARNING

:!: RANT ALERT, RANT ALERT :!:

Hi Simon!

Well, I have to say i quite like it! I especially like the way the grain in the ash gives it a slightly crooked appearance. I don't know if it's just me, but i don't particularly like the way most trophy bases are a boring lump of featureless wood. They look as though no real consideration has gone into the base, it's just an afterthought. I think your base adds to the trophy, not detracts from it.

If people were to look at many statues of men on horses, the plinths are often relatively tall, and wether you meant it or not, you have transfered this use of scale.

The only criticism i would have is one you have already pointed out yourself, in the effectiveness of the birds-eye maple.

I say well done for daring to be different!

Now if only i could win something so i could get a trophy to mount :( :( :wink:

Hi all
thanks everyone for your comments very usefull :D . The winner was presented the trophy tonight.

While it was on display before being presented i was very sneeky :twisted: and lingered around the display area to hear people comments, i swear some of them were on to me. Anyway got sussed out in the end for being the maker and picked up a couple of commisions.

Have made a promise to myself to think ahead when it comes to buying timber. As only had the ash that was avaible to use for this project.

Simon

Latest posts

Back