The Turning Quest 2012

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might know, I had a request for a repeat-alike piece late this afternoon, oh goody I know exactly where the bits of off-cuts are that I need.
Second row of trays along at the back of the rack underneath another tray. :roll: at least they can be lifted out reasonably easily.
Now got to raid the supermarket for some shallower trays so that they can all stack two high.

Just fooling around, or is it barrelling along, with some more bits of wood.
DSCN3171.JPG
DSCN3172.JPG

Oak & Pau Rosa 90mm dia.

Attachments

• DSCN3171.JPG
    DSCN3171.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,809
  • DSCN3172.JPG
    DSCN3172.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 1,809
Yet another one emerges from the shavings.
DSCN3173.JPG
DSCN3175.JPG

Apple, Yew and Walnut 110mm dia.

Attachments

• DSCN3173.JPG
    DSCN3173.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 1,781
  • DSCN3175.JPG
    DSCN3175.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,781
Another pre-lunch completion:
DSCN3176.JPG
DSCN3177.JPG

Beech & Walnut 125mm dia.

Attachments

• DSCN3176.JPG
    DSCN3176.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,767
  • DSCN3177.JPG
    DSCN3177.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 1,751
My thoughts once it was off the lathe Allen, will have to live with its warts I'm afraid, try harder next time.

This morning in the shed, not sure about the lid, will get round to a darker version in Walnut sapwwood to compliment the spacers when the holiday visitors have departed.
DSCN3192.JPG
DSCN3193.JPG

Walnut & Hornbeam 87mm dia.

Attachments

• DSCN3192.JPG
    DSCN3192.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,688
  • DSCN3193.JPG
    DSCN3193.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,688
Nothing much to show on the spiny front just lately, quite a bit of behind the scenes preparation going on, just awaiting an unbroken spell in the shed to complete something worth showing.
Been making things like these incense stick holders by the dozen using up the oddments and meeting a request, a bit boring but at least the there are no dimensional tolerance problems to concentrate on and nobody has a chance of knowing if the outcome was by design, accident or the result of a mistake.
DSCN3209.JPG

Mainly Yew, a bit of laburnum and walnut.

Attachments

• DSCN3209.JPG
    DSCN3209.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 1,574
hi chas
thanks for such a great thread.
normally i would be looking at all the turnings picking out which ones i like or dislike.
it is impossible - i am in awe of all your turning work and love each and every piece, great work.
thanks for sharing
paul-c

Thank you for the comments Paul, a bit of encouragement for me to get back up into the shed after lunch.
Don't purport to do anything artistic or particularly complex but I do enjoy the challenge of developing methods that allow me to do what I do with minimum of effort or skill requirement.

Does mean that over time my interests and output of pieces and design methods changes as the wind blows, one of the benefits of doing it as a hobby and not a living, rarely does it become a chore.

Something for the eyes to play with, done as a passing check on cutting accuracy whilst the next batch of boxes were cooking.
DSCN3255.JPG
DSCN3256.JPG

Oak and Walnut

Attachments

• DSCN3255.JPG
    DSCN3255.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 861
  • DSCN3256.JPG
    DSCN3256.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 861
hi chas
thanks for showing another of your fabulous turnings for us all to admire. =D>

as you say "something for our eyes to play with"
i find i am drawn into the "cube" in the centre of the oak like one of those optical illusions - that make you wonder which way around is it.
as i said earlier i am in awe of all of your turnings and thank you for sharing your skills with us all on the forum.
cheers
paul-c

CHJ":2rpdi9gk said:
Something for the eyes to play with, done as a passing check on cutting accuracy whilst the next batch of boxes were cooking.

That really was something for the eyes, a great effect.

On the first page of this thread you mention thinning CA, what is it thinned with?

Regards

12345Peter":a0fv25hr said:
On the first page of this thread you mention thinning CA, what is it thinned with?
If you are referring to the comment:-
"Thin CA before final cuts and any areas that show softness in finishing"

I am not referring to 'thinning' CA but to a particular version of CA that is very fluid and penetrates well as an adhesive.

CA is normally available in three types (different viscosities) from most outlets:- Thin, Medium, Thick, to suit the needs of particular bonding requirements.

CHJ":3v7yrg1g said:
12345Peter":3v7yrg1g said:
If you are referring to the comment:-
"Thin CA before final cuts and any areas that show softness in finishing"

I am not referring to 'thinning' CA but to a particular version of CA that is very fluid and penetrates well as an adhesive.

CA is normally available in three types (different viscosities) from most outlets:- Thin, Medium, Thick, to suit the needs of particular bonding requirements.

OKay, my mistake, yet again (hammer)

I did take the meaning as thinning CA, but can now see my mistake. I mainly use the thin CA.

Regards

Thanks for the comments guys, just trying some differing methods of using up the off-cuts.

That one is a little on the large size diameter wise but I now have some dimension figures to work with for the others.

Just noticed that I said Ash when in fact it's Oak & Walnut, will miss-use my mod hat and amend thread.
(just put it down to old age, and the fact I have been battling some Ash today that has a mind of its own)

Managed a few hours in the shed to polish off some more pots that have been hanging around for a day or two, never a bad thing in itself as the glue-ups have a chance to acclimatise.

Ash & Sapele 110mm dia.
DSCN3258.JPG

Ash & Sapele 100mm dia.
DSCN3259.JPG

Sapele & Beech 98mm dia.
DSCN3260.JPG

Elm & Ash 80mm dia.
DSCN3261.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN3258.JPG
    DSCN3258.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 789