The Turning Quest 2012

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Silverbirch":1oogliqb said:
Walnut, Ash & Beech 152mm dia.
This is very attractive. Nice shape and good combination of colours.
Ian
The shape change was an attempt to explore something different with a view to making some smaller versions as trinket/ring boxes, part of which was the lid profile change,

richburrow":1oogliqb said:
Good to see you are still making good use of the off cuts Chas
I hope you are both well mate
Going great guns Rich, actually find the staging of the making quite relaxing as the various process sessions provide distinctive breaks in routine. They are certainly a way to bulk out thinner blanks when they are split for base and rims.
On the personal front we are keeping very busy thanks, with construction and changes around the plot having to be slotted in between our regular excursions to find some interesting eating etc.

Paul.J":6q10a1aq said:
.....Have you given this collection a name yet :?:

Maybe "Stuck in a Rut" is about the nearest at the moment Paul, but I have outstanding requests for a selection for gifts over the coming months and they are proving a convenient method of absorbing a lot of the old blanks I have accumulated with the off-cuts.

A Sweet Chestnut Challenge, what with swirly grain and an ability to readily take a high polish that was determined to show the slightest scratch blemish across the grain lead to a lot of stationary hand finishing.
Half a dozen sealer coats to highlight any scratches and cut backs later we ended up with this:
DSCN3147.JPG
DSCN3148.JPG
DSCN3149.JPG

Sweet Chestnut, Walnut & Ash 215mm dia.

Attachments

• DSCN3147.JPG
    DSCN3147.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 969
  • DSCN3148.JPG
    DSCN3148.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 969
  • DSCN3149.JPG
    DSCN3149.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 969
Not much time to play today, so had to do something a little smaller :)
DSCN3150.JPG
DSCN3151.JPG
DSCN3152.JPG
DSCN3153.JPG

Both in Walnut & Beech 85 & 83 mm dia.

Attachments

• DSCN3150.JPG
    DSCN3150.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 945
  • DSCN3151.JPG
    DSCN3151.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 945
  • DSCN3152.JPG
    DSCN3152.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 945
  • DSCN3153.JPG
    DSCN3153.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 945
Chas, excellent as always. I just hope you've got a good market for these as you certainly put your "play time " to good use.

Steve

They will no doubt disappear in due course Steve, some are provisionally booked to order but I'm trying to build up stocks so that I can get round to some different projects around the plot when the weather warms up.
Usual scenario is that someone wants something for a gift and can't make up their mind, then decides that they want half a dozen all in one swoop to save having to look elsewhere so I can go from an abundance to scarcity in short order.

Glad that there is not too much of the slab of Orvankol still left that has been lying around for a couple of years, brittle and an ability to remove the cutting edge off the tools almost as good as the grinding wheels ability to renew it.
DSCN3159.JPG

Ovankol, Walnut & Beech. 290mm dia.

Attachments

• DSCN3159.JPG
    DSCN3159.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 900
CHJ":3qfftpg0 said:
Glad that there is not too much of the slab of Orvankol still left that has been lying around for a couple of years, brittle and an ability to remove the cutting edge off the tools almost as good as the grindings wheels ability to renew it.

#-o Doh! If only you'd posted that last week I probably wouldnt have just bought a blank of ovankol from fleabay :roll:
So I guess i should expect a challenge when it comes to turning it?

It's all good experience, you will no doubt have a better feel for a blunt tool when you've finished than experienced with a good many wood types.
Watch out for splinters and be prepared to do some finish sanding with the grain, one of those 'hard' woods that is easy to scratch across the grain.
If you are getting rough end grain areas try soaking in sealer or water when finishing and cutting wet.

As the others were claimed within a couple of hours, thought I had better see if I could make a couple of similar.
DSCN3160.JPG
DSCN3161.JPG

Walnut & Beech, 95 & 87mm dia.

Attachments

• DSCN3160.JPG
    DSCN3160.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 883
  • DSCN3161.JPG
    DSCN3161.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 883
Well I'm afraid that there has been a little break in spinney activities.
Boss put her foot down and said something had to be done about wood storage encroaching on her domain.
So having contributed some £254 hard earned pension funds at the local sawmill and builders merchants, the past week has been spent assembling said purchases into something to keep the rain out and shifting some of the scattered 'must keeps' into some form of order.
Just hope I can remember where that piece I want next week was stacked at the back of the racks.
DSCN3168.JPG
DSCN3167.JPG

Basic framing, roof joists and rack supports 88 X 38 mm.
Feather edge ex. 25 X 150mm.
50 X 25 mm slats for racks
Three sheets of 3mm Onduline.
125mm Rd Hd nails
75mm wood screws
50mm galvanized Rd Hd nails.
All timber pressure treated at source.
Just a bit of timber needed along the long side roof edge to finally tidy up the roofing fixing.

Attachments

• DSCN3168.JPG
    DSCN3168.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 1,994
  • DSCN3167.JPG
    DSCN3167.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 1,994
Back