DEWALT DW 50 PLANER/THICKNESSER

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggame

Reaction score
HI GUYS

I'M A NEW MEMBER WITH LIMITED JOINERY KNOWLEDGE. I HAVE BEEN OFFERED A DEWALT DW 50 PLANER/THICKNESSER WHICH RUNS WELL BUT I WOULD IMAGINE THAT I WILL NEED A NEW BELT AND POSSIBLY NEW BLADES. THE GUY SELLING WANTS £100 - IS THAT A BARGAIN, A FAIR PRICE, OR WHAT? I WILL ALSO WANT A USER MANUAL IF ANYONE HAS ONE.

CHEERS

BIG GAME

Haven't got a clue, but welcome to the forum, hopefully someone will be along shortly who knows the machine.

Roy.

Thanks marcros,

the two sites were very helpful.

I won't be doing precision work so I guess £100 isn't bad for a quality tool even if it is a bit ancient. The motor sounds very smooth and I think that once the planer's cleaned up it will be a nice acquisition.

thanks again

Big Game

Hi there,
We stock the blades but not the spare parts. Blades are £23.95 + vat a pair and we can sharpen your existing as well if needed. We sell alot of these knives for dewalt machines so I'd guess spares shouldn't be a problem

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for that information.

Of more concern is that now that I have opened up the planer bed, the feed rollers seem very rusty and I'm not sure whether I can return them to usable condition. The machine is obviously a very solid unit but by the time that I've invested in new blades and other essential parts, the price tag of £100 might seem a bit unrealistic.

I suppose what I'm looking for is a testimonial from someone who owns a DW50 and can tell me that the time and expense of refurbishing it will be worthwhile. I'll carry on cleaning it up though because it's very sad to see a machine left in this state.

cheers

big game PHIL

Back