"""""HEAD TO HEAD MITRE GAUGE REVIEW"""""

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bremner":2mtikiuh said:
Great review, very comprehensive. I was looking at the 27 but after your review think I'll go for the 1000se think it's worth the extra pennies.

Cheers

Yes I think that all in all you have made the best choice, that's my opinion anyway.

Cheers

Mike

Bremner":17dftvgj said:
Great review, very comprehensive. I was looking at the 27 but after your review think I'll go for the 1000se think it's worth the extra pennies.

Cheers

I went for the Incra 1000HD over the SE after talking myself into spending a bit more, basically it's the same but with index stops in one degree increments. Ive had it about a month now and It's improved accuracy by 1000%, I used my chop saw for mitred cuts before which is accurate within .5 to 1 degree but with the Incra it's accurate within 0.01 degree which I can live with :wink: .
I only have a 10" dewalt contractors saw not a stationary saw because of a lack of space, but even with that the accuracy I can achieve is way past my expectations.
If you take a good hour to set it up and fine tune you can achieve 100% accurate and repeatable cuts, my retailer supplied me with a conversion kit to make it metric which was very easy to install, think it cost £10 extra for the kit but invaluable to me as I'm too young for these imperial shenanigans :wink:

Again thanks for the great review and I look forward to more comparisons.

Brem

Brem,

Where did you buy it from? I have been looking online for one and struggling to find anywhere in the UK that sells the HD!

Cheers

Hi flounder

I can 2nd Brem about Roger, he is a really nice and very helpfull guy. He sent me a lot of info about Incra products and went out of his way to help me out. You won't go wrong if you do contact and buy any of the products he has for sale.

Cheers

Dave

It cost me £165 altogether that's delivered and included the metric to imperial kit. I'd give him a call (numbers on his website) if your interested his website isn't the best but he talked me through all the info I needed and placed the order over the phone. I found the HD at another tool importer which was £20 more so I think it's the best price you'll find.

Brem

Cheers Brem and Dave, I think I will definitely go for it, although will have to wait now til the end of the month. After buying a LV BU jointer and a worksharp 30000 in the last 10 days the funds are a little depleted!

Great review Mike. I'm sold on the EB3 gauge - clever piece of equipment.

For folks asking about non standard guide slots, can I say that you can buy stuff called "ground flat stock" or sometimes "gauge plate" at engineering supplies such as Cromwell. It's available in a wide range of sizes both metric and imperial: http://www.cromwell.co.uk/category_page/160202 for making up your own guide bars.

Hi Mike

Thanks for posting your review, which was really helpful.

I should have posted a note of thanks before, but on the strength of your review I bought the V27 a couple of months ago. I am using it in my router table and am very pleased with it. At the time, I didn't feel I could justify buying the more expensive 1000SE, even though its fence is very tempting!

I have a couple of lengths of box section aluminium extrusion, one 450 mm long, and another at 230 mm (- 'borrowed' from my bandsaw). I have bolted the smaller one to the V27, and in practice I find this is adequate for the small projects I am doing at the moment. As is the norm, I also use a sacrificial length of timber to support the piece being routed. The problem with a longer fence is that space is limited in my garage and I suspect I would keep tripping over it.

However, when funds allow, I'll consider buying an extending Incra fence and FlipShopStop, which would upgrade the V27 more-or-less to 1000SE standard.

Les

Hi Les, thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. As you said adding a couple of extra's will give you a 1000E in all but name, and if you shop about (not only Incra), you could pick up the parts you need for a lot less.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike great post very very helpful as i am currently looking to buy one of these.

Can anyone give me details of suppliers of incra mitre gauges in the UK so i can get prices

i have spoken to david osborne and can get and eb3 delivered for about £95.00 which does not seen to bad ????

many thanks

hunggaur":1wf9ry6u said:
Hi Mike great post very very helpful as i am currently looking to buy one of these.

Can anyone give me details of suppliers of incra mitre gauges in the UK so i can get prices

i have spoken to david osborne and can get and eb3 delivered for about £95.00 which does not seen to bad ????

many thanks

Hi Hunggaur, it's good to hear that the review has helped you. As for the Osborne EB3 you are quite right £95 is an excellent price all the way from the States, but do not forget you may get hit by in port duty when it arrives. I say may because I have ordered a fair few tools and luckily I have never been hit yet. Mind you we live in a blink and you have missed it sort of town, where you would been forgiving for thinking that the pony express delivered the mail. With that said even if you are charged the extra £20 or so you will still have a very good deal.

Here are some Incra's, http://www.rutlands.co.uk/workshop-&-po ... gauge-1000
or there is this special edition model which I placed at No1 http://www.rutlands.co.uk/workshop-&-po ... al-edition

Although I have not tried it, I have heard good things about this Kreg http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kreg-Precisio ... 2c6071b9cc Or the same one with a fence from Axminster.

HTH

Cheers

Mike

Sadly I have a record table saw and band saw. both have 12mm mitre slots. Pretty disapointing that Record dont have standard slots. Took me a whole year to save up for those bits of kit now I'm stuck with standard cross cut, put simply is a pain in the butt.

A sled is the way to go if your gauge slot is non standard, there are some good ones, adjustable as well, investigate using search facilities.

I've just come across this thread while perusing the web and looking at Mitre gauges (sad for a Friday evening)

Anyway, I have the Osborne mitre gauge, shipped in from the states by my sister who lives out there. Her husband is in the military so I have taken advantage of the domestic shipping rates for items coming over the pond.

If memory serves I think it was £54 all in, including shipping fees. This was a couple of years ago when the £ -$ rate was almost 2 to 1. Costings aside I have used the tool quite a lot and to date very pleased with it. It feels sturdy and the parts are well made. I have the self adhesive strip which comes with the kit attached to the fence. The strip is akin to the non slip tape for stair treads. Despite the use and environment the self adhesive tape shows no sign of wear or peeling from the fence.

The mitre bar of the fence fitted straight into my mitre track on the saw without any adjustment at all. This of course may just have been luck although there is the facility to adjust for sloppy side to side movement should it be required. It rides very smoothly and produces great work even with the fence extended fully.

This is the only after market mitre fence I have owned so cannot compare it to any others, Incra/Kreg etc but if I had to buy another mitre fence I would purchase another Osborne without doubt

Hi, Brilliant review and as an owner of the Incra M1000 I agree that the quality and accuracy is spot on.

My problem - I had to downsize my workshop which ment the Delta table saw had to go.
As anyone come across a small table saw with the standard 3/4 x 3/8 mitre slot??????

At present my favorite saw is looking like the Axminster TS-200 due to the induction motor and cast iron table.
Sadly my Incra M1000 will not and cannot be modified to fit the TS-200 slot which is 19 x 15 x 6.5 "T".

I have considered having the table machine so it will take the standard mitre guide but at present I am having problems finding a machine shop capable - and I live in Sheffield the city of steel and tool making, or used to be.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. :( :( :(

Big Al":y0bx68ys said:
Hi, Brilliant review and as an owner of the Incra M1000 I agree that the quality and accuracy is spot on.

My problem - I had to downsize my workshop which ment the Delta table saw had to go.
As anyone come across a small table saw with the standard 3/4 x 3/8 mitre slot??????

At present my favorite saw is looking like the Axminster TS-200 due to the induction motor and cast iron table.
Sadly my Incra M1000 will not and cannot be modified to fit the TS-200 slot which is 19 x 15 x 6.5 "T".

I have considered having the table machine so it will take the standard mitre guide but at present I am having problems finding a machine shop capable - and I live in Sheffield the city of steel and tool making, or used to be.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. :( :( :(

In a word, NO! There doesnt seem to be anything out there, unless possibly the excaliber has 3/4 x 3/8. That is a lot more money than the likes of the ts200 though.

Somebody on the forum did have the ts200 machined out, and the casting was just thick enough to do it, but was hairy in places. It also took a fair bit of setup time. Thread is on here somewhere.

I have just bought a kity 618, and myself and another person on the forum had the thought of possibly machining out the slots. I havent seen mine yet- it arrives tomorrow, but the other chap thinks that there should be enough meat on the casting (albeit anodised aluminium and not cast iron) to do it. In the short term, I am going to make an aluminium runner to use the Incra on the kity. This would certainly be the cheaper option to do, it just depends how many different things you want to run in the slot- for me, a decent aftermarket mitre gauge and a cross cut sled. Maybe some featherboards.

Why axminster didnt design the ts200 with 3/4" slots, I dont know. If they had, then I would have had no hesitation in buying one. As it was, I went for the 2nd hand kity for a bit more capacity, for the same money (ish) as the basic ts200. It wasnt 100% what I wanted, because I would have preferred a cast iron top, but it was the right money and should do me before I go for the Hammer saw/spindle combo in a few years time.

If you find a machine shop, let me know. I might give it another thought. Problem is if it goes wrong, it is an expensive mistake, potentially ruining the saw!

Back