Hand Operated Pillar Drills

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the case Jim. Soon as I know, you will too. I would like to get it over here, mainly because it has been a few years since we last swung a pair of French balls around the British Isles... n'est ce pas?

Well, Kent's only just over the way from France; you two could nip over to get it and pick up some good wine on the way back... make a day of it! :-" :wink: :mrgreen:

No skills":omvdgtsu said:
Thats a neat little thing. Bet Fred Dibnah had a full sized one :)

Yeah - one of his programs shows it drilling big holes in boiler plate.

Only takes 3 hours to get pressure up to drill a hole...

BugBear

And I bet he had one with massive rotating balls for knocking down chimneys!

(any update, condee?)

Hi Alan - afraid so. Gounthar went to considerable lengths to try and acquire it on my behalf, but it seems it may have been sold. He did say in a pm to me that the balls did rotate... but we won't get to see it in action over here. Thanks to Gounthar for his efforts... keep the collective eye open, can't be the only one ever made.

bugbear":3ib4m5mi said:
marcros":3ib4m5mi said:
bugbear":3ib4m5mi said:
It's a good job we're not discussing a flywheel controlled auto-feed drill; those things are hard to understand when they're right in front of you.

BugBear (owner)

no picture... it doesnt exist!

I'll see what I can do - but be warned, the picture won't help. You will misinterpret what you see. :-"

BugBear

Here we go:

keen_drill.jpg

Looks like a drill with a flywheel on the quill, right?

But where's the feed?

Here we go...

The quill is threaded, and passes through the (also threaded) flywheel. Consider two extreme cases.

#1 If the flywheel stays still, and the quill rotates, the quill descends.
#2 If the flywheel rotates at the same speed as the quill rotates, the quill does not descend.

Here come the interesting bit; the quill also "supports" the flywheel a bit. If there's back pressure from the quill, the quill/flywheel contact (and friction) is increased, so the flywheel rotates more, leading to more of case #2

If the back pressure decreases, the flywheel rotates less, leading to more of case #1

In other words, the rate of descent varies inversely with back pressure. Neat.

The adjustment screw, visible below the flywheel, adjusts the friction between the quill and wheel.

In short, this thing is VASTLY more complex than it looks.

Edit; google gives:

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/M._C._Gooding_and_Co

as the maker.

BugBear

marcros":2wolt6ze said:
Thanks BugBear. Is it regularly used?

Only when drilling holes in metals with big bits, which I don't do very often. There's simply not enough back pressure from wood to run the mechanism, and it applies too much pressure on small bits.

Fortunately, it's not my only drill \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

drill_stand.jpg

old-small-pilar-drill-wotsit-t24133.html?hilit=drill

BugBear

Very nice. I got a single speed union on fleabay last night. It is going to be a while before I get the Manguna back home, so I thought that I would get the Union to have a play with. I need to find a nice Record machine vice now for not too many pennies.

BB - if I am ever to understand that, I will first need to know where the 'quill' is, please... then I may stand a chance. i suppose a video is pushing my luck?

condeesteso":2ypawtlg said:
BB - if I am ever to understand that, I will first need to know where the 'quill' is, please... then I may stand a chance. i suppose a video is pushing my luck?

It's the uppy downy, roundy roundy shaft, in the middle, with the chuck on it?!

BugBear

My large h/c pillar drill functions the same way as BB's, which is why it's sitting in a corner of the workshop, upside down, and not getting used. The smaller one is probably a bit more useful, but my brother's got that on loan at the moment. Honestly? I love the gizmocity, but for actual use I prefer my tailed drill press... :-$

Attachments

• drillafter.jpg
    drillafter.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 2,741
"It's the uppy downy, roundy roundy shaft, in the middle"
Got it BB, thanks. Just needed explaining properly, by one with a true command of our language. I will now decide how it all works, no problem.

gounthar":1y5lyc6p said:
Very interesting read!
I am interested in this one, and hope to get it next week:
perceuse_2.jpg
I hope I will be able to start mortices, cut toy wheels and so on. :roll:
I went and picked up this little boy this morning. Oh boy does my back hurt now...
Anyway, the seller lost the handle, and something seems broken in the automatic "go-down" mechanism.
I'll post some more pics, but I may need some help sourcing some parts. :oops:

I love the way it can be turned around and positioned over the machine vise! Superb idea!

How could he lose the handle...it's in the photo!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jim

Latest posts

Back