(Not quite) Completed Projects

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeW

Established Member
Reaction score
Though I have tons of projects that could waste a lot of bandwidth--work I start on between commissions being a lot of them--here's a slight update to the Boneheaded thread as well as two other boxes I'm working on.

One of the bloodwood boxes is for a commission, the other is just because. But the third box is a closer look of the "nearly going to be ashes" box from the BH thread.

And more to this topic's title, none of the three are finished. All are in some stage, with the third picture showing one just out of clamps.

This is just a view of all three boxes.
box_0001.jpg

This is the commission box. Bloodwood, curly maple with ebony stringing and keys.
box_0002.jpg

This one is the just because I had left over bloodwood box. The inset panel is champhor burl. Obviously ebony edged. This just came out of the clamps. It too will have ebony keys cut into the corners. There is an ebony handle that will be for lifting the lid coming out of the curved area. This was the first time I steam bent ebony. Guess it worked.
box_0003.jpg

The last is of course the subject of the Bonehead topic. I fitted handles on both sides that are cut deep into the lid. There will now be a wood pushbutton clasp on the front that keeps the lid secure when lifting the box with the handles.
box_0004.jpg

One lesson to be learnt from the BH topic, is that mistakes cost more in time than materials sometime.

Alf":2d78hky3 said:
Mmmm, nice boxes, Mike. I didn't even think you could steam bend ebony; interesting stuff.
Cheers, Alf
Hi Alf, I had read somewhere that one couldn't. But, I was looking at a book of some furniture made in early 20th century France. There was a picture of a dresser that had what had to be steam bent ebony on it.

I did it in two steam sessions around a coffee cup that was slightly smaller diameter than the cut out. Used a compression strap. Oh, and soaked the ebony in the steam pot between bends.

One of these days I'll try to do a larger bend.

Latest posts

Back